I’ve been using Xiaomi phones for years and have never faced any issue with the device in terms of malware or viruses. That could be possible because Xiaomi has their own antivirus or just that I don’t fiddle too much with my phone.
But I’ve also heard of users facing issues with their Xiaomi phones where their personal information was left vulnerable and open to attacks. Now, while this doesn’t necessarily happen to everyone, there’s still a chance that your data might be prone to getting leaked as well.
By now, you must be wondering, do I need an antivirus for Xiaomi? And Is it secure enough to withstand cyber attacks or phishing?
After doing some research on the topic, I can tell you that your Xiaomi phones do not require an antivirus if the device is being used for day-to-day tasks such as calling someone or messaging a friend. That’s because the device comes with a pre-installed antivirus software that keeps your information and data secure. The only time when you would need to install an antivirus on your Xiaomi is when you’re using your device for work, carrying out many financial transactions or if you’re visiting suspicious websites and downloading dangerous content onto the device.
To help you understand this better, I’ll cover all there is to know about Xiaomi’s built-in security system and explain whether it’s secure enough or not.
I’ll also recommend three antivirus software that you can consider using on your Xiaomi smartphone or tablet in case you’re scared that the stock software won’t do a good enough job.
Do I Need an Antivirus for Xiaomi? Is it Secure Enough?
How Secure is the built-in Xiaomi Antivirus?
Like all Android devices, Xiaomi phones and tablets can get infected with viruses, but most of the time they get infected with new malware.
Many of the known virus and malware attacks on Xiaomi devices have been attributed to downloading illegal or modified apps from third party websites.
Xiaomi, POCO and Redmi devices that are running on MIUI 8 or above will come with a built-in antivirus software called Security Scan that keeps the device protected from basic types of attacks.
The issue however, is that even though these devices use either AVL, Tencent or Avast antivirus engines, they will not keep the device completely safe from new viruses or malware.
To ensure that all your data and information is kept safe, you might need to consider investing in a premium antivirus software such as McAfee, Norton, or Kaspersky.
When Do You Need an Antivirus on a Xiaomi Phone?
Xiaomi phones can get infected by installing malware or illegal apps onto the device. Hackers tend to infect apps by inserting a malicious code or virus into it and then seeding that infected app online.
These apps (that are not found on Google Play Store) are considered dangerous and there’s no guarantee that the app doesn’t contain any malicious code. So to be on the safer side, it’s always good to refrain from downloading apps that are not verified on the Play Store.
There’s also a chance that by downloading torrents or opening phishing emails, you can potentially infect your Xiaomi phone with a virus or malware
Here are a couple of times you will need to have an antivirus installed on your Xiaomi phone.
- Rooting your device – Rooting a Xiaomi might seem fun and you may want to experiment with different themes or to install custom firmware. But rooting a Xiaomi phone can lead to future attacks as it reduces the level of security on the device.
- Disabling the built-in antivirus – Disabling the built-in antivirus is a bad idea as it provides you with the basic level of security you’d need on a daily basis. If you do disable the built-in antivirus then there’s nothing protecting your personal data from getting leaked.
- Opening suspicious emails – If you use your Xiaomi device for work and have opened an email that’s not from the organization or from an unfamiliar address then there are chances that the email might contain a dangerous attachment and it could infect your device.
- Downloading torrents – Another way you can get a virus on your Xiaomi phone, or any Android device for that matter is by downloading or seeding torrents. Again, hackers will infect the video file or throw in an additional file that contains the virus and opening it will infect your device.
What Antivirus Should I Install on my Xiaomi Device?
The Google Play Store is flooded with many free antivirus software that are compatible with Xiaomi devices, but these antivirus’s make the phone slow and can be buggy at times.
So i’m covering these three antivirus software that I think will keep all your data protected.
McAfee Mobile Security
McAfee mobile security is one of the most premium antivirus software around with over 50 million downloads so far.
The application is loaded with an antivirus software, a VPN proxy as well as an anti-theft feature to keep your Xiaomi phone safe and secure.
It also has additional features that can help boost your performance such as battery booster, storage cleaner, and memory management among others.
The app is free to download on the Play Store, but if you want to unlock its premium features you will have to purchase a subscription plan.
Subscribers also get access to family and home plans that allow you to use the software on different devices in the family.
Norton 360 for Mobiles
Norton 360 is an award winning security software that helps protect your Xiaomi smartphone from ransomware, malware and spyware.
The antivirus registry is also updated on a daily basis so your device stays protected against new viruses and malware
Norton 360 even provides security to those surfing the dark web as well as it’s capable of running regular automatic scans on your Xiaomi to ensure everything is running smoothly.
Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
Kaspersky mobile antivirus is one of the top rated antivirus applications on the Google Play Store and is highly recommended for its up to date and easy to use interface.
The app is available for free, but you will need to purchase a plan in order to access premium features.
Kaspersky mobile antivirus is known for its ability to protect your devices against viruses, spyware and malware and even provides real-time protection for your Xiaomi.
The app also features web filters, an anti-phishing feature and a find my phone feature in case you end up losing the device.
Things to Keep in Mind to Secure your Xiaomi Phone
There are a couple of things you should consider when using your Xiaomi phone to ensure your information and data is kept safe.
- Remove bloatware from the phone if you want to minimize the possibility of getting attacked. Bloatware carries advertisements that can lead to dangerous web pages and can end up infecting or slowing down your phone.
- Make sure that your Xiaomi phone is updated to the latest version. New updates take care of previous bugs and loopholes in the OS which are potentially gateways for a virus or malware to infect your phone.
- Go through the permissions of the apps you’re installing on your Xiaomi smartphone. Make sure that the app doesn’t require permissions to your contacts, phone log, keystrokes and more as they can prove dangerous and it could also be a possible data collection attempt.
- While browsing web pages, do not click on links you’re unfamiliar with. Make sure the website you’re visiting is secure with a HTTPS connection/SSL certificate. Refrain from browsing on the dark web or downloading torrents/pirated content onto your phone.
- If you’re using your Xiaomi phone to access your emails, refrain from opening emails from senders you do not know. There might be an attachment that will contain a virus or malware and can potentially infect your phone.
- Make sure to always use a good antivirus application on your Xiaomi phone and perform regular system scans. This will make sure that your phone is not infected with any virus or malware and if you are it will permanently remove the virus from your device.
While there’s no hard and fast rule that an antivirus is a must on a Xiaomi device, installing one on your smartphone depends on what the phone is being used for and how.
Keeping this factor in mind, you need to decide on whether or not the built-in antivirus is good enough or if you have to invest in a premium antivirus to protect your data.
If the antivirus software mentioned above are expensive and you want something a little bit cheaper, and does the same job, try Avast antivirus or AVG antivirus by typing out their names in the search bar on the Play Store.
What is Xiaomi Security scan?
Xiaomi security scan is an official MIUI app that is designed to keep your Xiaomi smartphone safe and optimized. It’s free to download and lets you clean the phone, lock apps, scan for viruses and malware and even boost the RAM.
How to scan Xiaomi for viruses?
You can scan for viruses on your Xiaomi phone by using the built-in security app. Launch the app by clicking on the Security Scan and then tap on Virus Scan. Next, go ahead and tap on the Settings Icon from the top right corner of the screen and click on Definitions and then enable AVL, Tencent and Avat. Now, check for updates and then scan the phone once again using the new database.
Should I get an antivirus for Xiaomi Mi 11?
Xiaomi Mi 11 comes with a built-in security scanner and you wouldn’t need to download an antivirus unless you’re dealing with private and confidential data or with high monetary transactions on the phone.
Which antivirus is best for Mi phones?
Xiaomi, Poco and Redmi phones use MIUI and all devices running on MIUI 8 and above will come with a built-in antivirus that’s quite good for day to day use. However, if you want to use a premium antivirus on your Mi phone then the top three are McAfee, Norton 360 and Kaspersky.
- How to Overclock a Xiaomi Phone | Does Overclocking Really Make a Difference?
- How to check Xiaomi warranty and serial number | Best Xiaomi Warranty Check Guide
- What is MIUI Biometric and How Does it Work
Table of Contents