Xiaomi devices are increasing in popularity, thanks to the growing ecosystem of excellent products. Xiaomi devices are also smart devices allowing all of them to be controlled right from your Xiaomi smartphone. This is possible and so convenient because of a Mi account. A Mi account is the gateway to the world of Xiaomi devices. Read on to find out How to Delete a Mi Account!
This gateway can be closed if a need arises, like when I had to do it. I once lost access to my Mi account and no matter what I tried I couldn’t get full control of it again. Out of fear of losing complete access, I had to delete my Mi account.
I was also paranoid that someone else might have had access to my account and its details so, I acted quick and deleted my Mi account. Doing so I learnt that there was more than one way to delete a Mi account and I wanted to let my readers know about it. This is a comprehensive guide on how to delete a Mi account.
After having gone through Xiaomi’s various official documents and guides; my team and I found that:
A Mi Account holder can either temporarily remove the Account from their device by signing out from settings or they can permanently remove it from Mi.com. Alternatively, the user can also permanently disable it by sending an official email to Mi.
How to Delete a Mi Account
There are a few ways you can remove/delete a Mi account from your Mi device. I will deep dive into all these methods, explaining them in detail with steps. Without further ado, the first method:
Steps To Remove Xiaomi Account from your Device
If you want to just remove a Mi account from your Mi smartphone and don’t want to delete it, then follow these steps:
Step 1 Open the Settings app on your Mi phone.
Step 2 Scroll down till you see the Mi Account option and tap on it.
Step 3 This page will show the Mi account that is linked with your phone. To remove the account, choose the Sign Out option.
Step 4 It will prompt the password of your Mi account to verify you, once you enter it, your Mi account will be removed from your phone.
Steps To Delete Mi Account Permanently
If you want to delete your account permanently from Mi’s records then you will need to follow these steps, you can do this on another phone or a PC, I feel a PC would be better for convenience.
Step 1 Open a web browser on a PC or any another phone.
Step 2 Open the Mi’s website using this link, Mi Account – Sign in (Mi.com).
Step 3 Log in to your Mi account using your Email ID or phone number and your password. If you can log in because you have forgotten your password, you can use the Forgot password option. You will need to enter a code that is sent to your mobile number. You will now be redirected to a password reset page, reset the password and you can log in to your Mi account.
Step 4 Once you have logged in, a warning will popup informing you about account deletion. Check the Yes box and select the Delete Mi Account option.
Step 5 For security reasons, Mi needs to verify you. For this a verification code will be sent to your phone number and/or Email ID. Enter this code in the Verification Code box and click/ tap on submit.
Step 6 For one last time, press on the Delete Account option to delete your Mi account permanently.
Steps To Delete a Mi Account by Email
Another method you can use to delete your Mi account and all of your data that Mi holds is by sending an email to them. The step-by-step procedure for this as follows,
Step 1 First things first, you will need to make sure you have all details of your Mi account in hand, this includes your phone number, Email ID, and Mi account ID associated with the account you want to delete.
Step 2 Now send an Email from the Email ID that is associated with your Mi account to email@example.com. Make sure it is a formal Email and add all details about your Mi account on it.
Step 3 You will get a reply from Mi within a couple of days asking you to confirm once again that you really want to delete your account all of the information with Mi. Once you reply in the same thread confirming your erasure of account and information, they will delete all your details. Mi will send you another mail informing you that they have deleted your account and all of your information associated with it.
Things to keep in mind before deleting a Mi Account
Deleting a Mi account means that you are deleting everything that is associated with that account from Xiaomi. This means that it is an irreversible process and so you need to make sure you do it right. And these are:
- You need to make sure you have saved important data that are linked to your Xiaomi device and account. These may include but are not limited to files, contacts, photos and more.
- All services and devices that are connected with your Mi account will now require a new account.
- If you have any Mi credits in your Mi account, that will also be removed from your account completely.
- Themes and other items purchased from Xiaomi under your Mi account will also be removed.
- Any other accounts linked to your Mi account will now require your password so make sure you have them in hand too.
- All your bills and purchases associated with your Mi account will also be deleted so make a copy of them.
- Your Mi account is also the one that is linked to Mi Cloud, so if you are going to delete it, make a backup of all files from Mi Cloud first.
- The deletion of a Mi account and all your data with Xiaomi is a permanent process and you can’t undo it.
- Unlink or sign out from all the devices and services connected to your Mi account so that you face no inconveniences. This will also ensure a smooth set up process setting up from a new account. Check out our guide on How to Delete a Mi Account for all the details.
Xiaomi’s popularity as a brand and its extensive list of products making it a great ecosystem to choose from if you are into tech ecosystems. Similar to Apple and its Apple account, for Xiaomi you need a Mi account to reap the full benefit of its ecosystem.
Not all relationships are built to last and if for whatever reason you want to end your relationship with Xiaomi, you can do that by deleting your Mi account. You will need to keep a few things in mind and follow the steps correctly, so be sure you do it the right way, which you now know how after reading this guide.
Reasons to delete a Mi Account
While it would seem unnecessary to delete a Mi account, there are reasons why someone would do it.
To move away from the Xiaomi Ecosystem
- Mi along with your account has access to all the information that you have provided to them through your account. So, naturally, as long as an account is active, Mi has access to this information whether you like it or not. The need to delete all of this information arises for a user if they are planning to switch boats.
- So, if you are someone who doesn’t like Xiaomi as a brand and want to move to other brands, you may want to delete all your data just to ensure, they won’t be able to misuse it in the future. Cutting ties off completely is the best way to move on, this is true in real life too.
- So, if you are done with Xiaomi completely, you can delete your account and information held by them but remember there is no going back.
To Create a New Account
- Another reason to delete your Mi account would be if you want to create a new account and start on a clean slate. While this may seem like something a fugitive would do, a lot of people just want a start a new account for normal reasons.
- Even I have been one of them as I have mentioned above. So, if you are someone who doesn’t want to continue with your old account, you can delete it along with your information so that you can create a new one.
To Sell the Xiaomi Device
- The above two reasons are not the most popular reasons for deleting a Mi account from a phone. The reason is second hand Xiaomi devices. A lot of people sell their phones and when they do this, they want to make sure nothing of their information is left on the device.
- So, people remove or delete their Mi accounts from the phones. Even if someone is not selling their phone, maybe they are just handing them over to a family member, then too, people would want to wipe all the data including the Mi account on the phone. Check out our guide on How to Delete a Mi Account for all the details.
- How to use Xiaomi Enchen Hair Trimmer
- How to check Xiaomi Warranty and Serial Number
- Best Apps for Xiaomi Phones
Table of Contents