For a multitude of reasons, such as selling your Xiaomi device, forgetting your password, or experiencing lagging issues, you might need to reset your phone.
This article offers comprehensive guidelines on how to reset a Xiaomi phone, ensuring all your data is protected and easily recoverable post-reset.
From backing up your data to using various methods to execute the reset, every detail has been elaborated upon.
To reset a Xiaomi phone, consider the following methods:
- Backup: Navigate to Xiaomi device settings > additional settings > Backup & reset > local backup. Choose files and tap OK to back up.
- Soft Reset: Hold the power button until the power menu appears. Tap on Restart.
- Factory Reset via Settings: Open Settings > Additional menu Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset. Enable ‘Erase Stored Content’ and press Reset Phone.
- Factory Reset Using Secret Codes: In the phone application, enter * # * # 7780 # * # *.
- Reset without Password: Turn off the phone, press Power and Volume Up until the Mi logo appears. Navigate using the Volume button and choose ‘Wipe & Reset’ > ‘Wipe all data’.
- Reset Using ADB Tools: Turn off the phone, press Power and Volume Down together until the Fastboot screen appears. Connect the phone to a computer, download and open ADB Fastboot Tools. In the command window, type “Fastboot_W” and later “Fastboot Reboot”.
What steps must you take before formatting your Xiaomi Phone?
Before formatting your Mi phone, there are several things you should think about and do. You need to know this before you can learn how to reset Xiaomi phone. The following are the actions you must take:
- You must back up all of your data because after resetting your phone, all of your data will be erased. As a result, you must keep your phone’s essential data in another storage location, such as documents, photos, audio, videos, files, and so on.
- In addition to these, as you are aware, contact numbers are extremely important on our phones. As a result, you must ensure that the contacts from the phone are moved or copied to the SIM card.
- You must remember the Gmail username and password that is stored on your Xiaomi phone. You can also delete your Google account from your Xiaomi phone. (This is the most important step; if you skip it, your phone will be disabled.)
How To Reset a Xiaomi Phone (All Models)
Despite having higher specifications than competitors, this device occasionally hangs, stops at one screen, and errors when a heavy load of applications or games is applied.
When you want to completely remove everything from your smartphone. Simply follow the key steps outlined below.
How to Backup a Xiaomi phone
Learn how to back up a Xiaomi phone before you learn how to reset Xiaomi Phone.
1. Browse the Xiaomi device’s settings.
2. Select the option for additional settings.
3. Now, from this menu, select Backup & reset.
4. Opt for local backup.
5. Select the backup option.
6. Choose the files you want to back up now.
7. When you’ve finished choosing which files to back up, tap OK and then the backup button.
8. After the first ten backups are completed, the backup process will begin. This backup file can be found in a folder within MIUI folder. You can move it to another external storage device.
How To Soft Reset a Xiaomi Phone
A soft reset just restarts all of your smartphone’s processes. If your Xiaomi smartphone is running slowly or has crashed while an app was running, the problem can be easily resolved with a soft reset. You do not have to use the factory reset option at first.
Similarly, common difficulties like network connectivity troubles, sensor malfunctions, and others can be resolved with a soft reset. Follow these steps to soft reset your Xiaomi smartphone,
Step 1 Press and hold the power button on your Xiaomi phone until you see the power menu.
Step 2 Tap on Restart.
Step 3 Wait for the restart process to finish.
As a result, it is clear that soft resetting your Xiaomi smartphone is a rather simple method that should ideally address common problems with no effort. If, however, your Xiaomi smartphone does not respond when you press and hold the power button for roughly 10 seconds, the restart procedure will begin.
How to Factory Reset a Xiaomi Phone (All Models)
Because a factory reset will erase all data on the smartphone, make sure you’ve backed up any important data you want to restore later. If all data is secure, you can perform a factory reset right away. Your phone will be as clean as new after the factory reset.
There are two methods for performing a factory reset: the first is through smartphone settings, and the second is through the use of secret codes. You can reset your phone by using one of the methods listed below.
Method 1: How to reset a Xiaomi Phone using settings
1. To begin, open a menu or the application Settings.
2. Select Additional menu Settings from the Page Settings.
3. Select the menu Backup & Reset from the Additional page Settings.
4. You can go straight to the Factory Data Reset menu.
5. You will be informed later about the data that will be deleted.
6. It’s a good idea to enable ‘Erase Stored Content‘ so that the smartphone can be cleaned up.
Assume ‘Erase Stored Content‘ is enabled. On the Xiaomi smartphone, you can also delete music, photos, videos, and other important data.
7. If you have selected all of the options, press the Reset Phone button right away.
8. When a warning appears, press the Yes button, and the Reset process will continue until it is complete.
Later, your smartphone will restart automatically, and the reset process will begin. If your smartphone has reached the user settings menu on the home screen, the reset process is complete, and you can resume using your Xiaomi smartphone as before.
Method 2: How to Reset Xiaomi phone using Secret Codes
1. To begin, launch the ‘Phone application’ on your Xiaomi Smartphone.
2 Then enter the secret code * # * # 7780 # * # * and immediately press the Phone logo button.
3. The Xiaomi smartphone will restart, and the Reset process will begin.
4. When the Reset process is completed, the display will automatically return to the settings page, just as it did when you first bought your cell phone.
At first glance, this secret code appears to delete all connected applications and Google accounts by automatically resetting your Xiaomi smartphone partition data.
Method 3: How to reset a Xiaomi phone without a password?
There is another method to reset your Xiaomi phone. This works if you have forgotten your password or PIN. Check how to reset Xiaomi phone without a password,
Step 1 Power off your Xiaomi phone.
Step 2 Press and hold the Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time until you see the Mi logo.
Step 3 Use the Volume button to navigate to the English option and then press the Power button to select.
Step 4 Select Wipe & Reset using the Volume rocker and power button.
Step 5 Select the Wipe all data option.
Step 6 Confirm to wipe all data by selecting Yes.
Step 7 When it’s done, select Back to Reboot.
Method 4: How to Reset Xiaomi Phone Using ADB Tools
This method, like the recovery mode reset method, is useful if you have forgotten the lock screen password and are unable to access the device. However, unlike the other three methods, the ADB factory reset technique necessitates the use of a desktop computer or a laptop in addition to your Xiaomi smartphone.
To use ADB tools to reset your Xiaomi phones, follow these steps:
Step 1 Switch off your Xiaomi phone.
Step 2 Press and hold both the power button and the volume down at the same time button until you see the Fastboot screen.
Step 3 Connect your Xiaomi smartphone to a computer using a USB cable.
Step 4 Download ADB Fastboot Tools on the computer.
Step 5 Open the ADB Fastboot Tool.
Step 6 Right-click and open Command Window Here.
Step 7 Then, type Fastboot_W in the command window and press enter.
Step 8 Then type Fastboot Reboot and hit enter.
Your Xiaomi smartphone has now been successfully reset, and you can easily begin using it again.
Will all data be erased after resetting your Xiaomi Phone?
Yes, after you factory reset your Mi phone using any method, all data will be erased. Because the purpose of a factory or hard reset is to set the smartphone’s operating software as the default.
So, whenever you reset your Xiaomi or other phones using any method, all data from your smartphone will be erased. By the way, if the data has not been rewritten, you can recover it with the help of some recovery software.
When should you reset your smartphone?
Although there are numerous advantages to resetting a phone, this does not imply that you should do so every week. Because it may cause damage to your device. So, when should you reset your phone?
These are just a few of the reasons why you should reset your phone. So, let’s go over them one by one and see why we should reset our phones in these situations.
- When your phone slows down – If you believe your phone’s performance has slowed and a factory reset is required, you can reset it. And, after a factory reset, your phone will run quickly. Because all of the data in the RAM will be cleared, and your phone will be as new as the day you purchased it.
- When you want to delete all installed apps – If your phone has become cluttered with applications and third-party apps that you no longer require. Then you should definitely perform a factory reset because those apps will slow down your phone’s performance.
- If you want to erase all data – You can easily clear your phone storage by performing a factory reset because a factory reset erases all data that takes up space on your phone. So, instead of going to the file manager and clearing data manually, you can clear your phone data by performing a factory reset.
- If you forget your phone’s password – You can also reset your phone if you forget your password. All data on your phone will be erased if you perform a factory reset, and you will have a completely new phone. You can also easily access your phone without a password.
- When your phone is attacked by Malware – If your phone has been infected with malware, you can also reset it, which will resolve all of your problems. It will also remove all malware from your phone. Malware degrades your phone’s performance and poses a security risk. As a result, you should avoid installing third-party apps to avoid this. You should also reset your phone to resolve this.
- If you want to sell your phone – You should always give your phone a rest and clear all data on it, and then you should be able to use it. Because data is everything in today’s world. That is why you must secure your data so that no one else can access it except you. So, before you sell your phone, remember to reset it.
These are the circumstances in which you should reset your phone. If you are not in any of these circumstances, you should never perform a factory reset.
However, if you find yourself in an emergency situation, you can always perform a factory reset on your phone. And for that, I’ve included a step-by-step guide on how to reset my phone above. So, by following those steps, you can perform a factory reset.
Advantages of a Xiaomi Factory Reset
New smartphones with additional enhancements and new features continue to enter the market, rendering existing models obsolete in a very short period of time. The hard reset option makes it much safer to sell your older smartphones in order to purchase a newer model.
Furthermore, manufacturers provide the option to remotely perform a factory reset in the event of theft or the user losing their mobile phone. As a result, it aids in preventing sensitive user information from falling into the wrong hands.
Limitations of performing a Factory Reset
Factory resets, on the other hand, aren’t as foolproof as most users would like them to be. Only data from local storage is erased during a factory reset. Thus, data stored on a SIM card or a memory card can still be accessed in the event of data theft. While it may not seem like much to ordinary users, it can have disastrous consequences when the data in question is highly confidential or of greater importance.
How to reset Xiaomi Phone – Conclusion
Finally, we hope you now have a better understanding of how to reset your Xiaomi phone using various methods. We’ve covered every method for hard resetting any Xiaomi phone model.
However, you should always keep in mind that there will always be limitations and factors to consider before resetting your mobile phone.
Each genuine method of factory resetting a Xiaomi phone has a step-by-step procedure. This article could have helped you solve your problem by formatting your Xiaomi phone.
How to Reset a Xiaomi Phone – FAQs
Can I recover data after a factory reset?
You can not recover data after a factory reset. A factory reset will wipe all data on your Xiaomi phone. If you want you can back up before resetting your Xiaomi phone to save your data. So be wary of this when you are factory resetting your Xiaomi phone.
Does factory reset remove local Backup?
Yes, factory reset removes everything from your phone storage, this includes any local backup. Make sure to back up your Xiaomi phone to a PC if you want your data back after resetting.
Does Factory Reset remove the Mi account?
No, a factory reset doesn’t remove the Mi account on your Xiaomi phone. This is done to ensure safety in the case of theft. After a factory reset, the phone will ask you for your Mi account details to use it. You can remove your Mi account by visiting the Xiaomi Cloud website.
Say Yes to Xiaomi! I am one of the BIG FAN to Xiaomi Products. I can’t resist the things they created or partner within their ecosystem. So my advice to you is “JUST BUY LAH”!
Table of Contents