A Home Security System is a beneficial piece of tech to own, especially with the growing number of crimes being committed on a daily basis. It is a good idea to have a home security system set up so you can sleep in peace or just go outside knowing that you can always log in to the camera wirelessly and keep an eye on things back at home. And the best home security camera is the one from Xiaomi. Check out our article on How To Setup A Xiaomi Home Security Camera for all the details.
Back when the industry was picking up pace, Xiaomi began working on their wireless 360° home security camera that pretty much redefined the meaning of compact. The Mi Home Security Camera 360° was launched in 2018 and since then, have been providing real-time protection to millions of users. It has become a Xiaomi gadget that’s a must-have in every home.
Shortly after the Mi 360° was launched, Xiaomi announced their second home security camera the Mi Home Security Camera Basic 1080p which was a slightly cheaper alternative and is a good home security device that’s made affordable to all. Over this article, we’ll talk to you about How To Setup A Xiaomi Home Security Camera and what features and benefits they possess.
- How To Setup A Xiaomi Home Security Camera
- Set Up via App for Mobile Devices
- Set Up via Your Computer
- Xiaomi Mi Home Security Camera 360 1080P
- Mi Home Security Camera Basic 1080p
How To Setup A Xiaomi Home Security Camera
Xiaomi claims that their home security cameras are extremely easy to set-up and would comprise of just the basic 3 steps; Download the Mi Home App, Switch on the Camera, Connect the Camera to the App.
But is it really that simple? The truth behind their claim is, Yes. It really is that simple, at least for the basic setup via the mobile phone. Xiaomi Security Cameras can also be connected to your laptop/desktop for a more defined form of home security, unfortunately, there are no direct stand-alone applications from Xiaomi that are made for the PC so we’d have to resort to an Android emulator.
The Xiaomi Home Security Cameras can be kept vertically on a table/countertop or to be wall-mounted by using the wall mounting kit provided in the box.
Set Up via App for Mobile Devices
- For you to completely set-up your camera start by downloading the Mi Home Application from the Google PlayStore or App Store in order to use the Mi Home Security Camera.
- Once the application has installed successfully on the desired device, open the app and click on ‘Add Devices’ where you’d be able to see the option of Mi Home Security Camera (model number will change based on the camera you’re using).
- Click on the appropriate device name within the app to connect the camera to the WiFi. Upon doing so the mobile device generates a QR code that is to be scanned so the device and camera setup are paired.
- Hold your mobile phone with the QR coded on the display in front of the camera to be scanned and in order to complete the setup.
Set Up via Your Computer
In order to have the setup configured for your home computer, first, start by downloading the emulator (Bluestacks) that allows you to run android applications on the desktop.
- Now double click on the saved .EXE file to install Bluestacks on your Windows PC. Once installed, open the application.
- When Bluestacks has launched, login using your Google Account and proceed to the Google Playstore in Bluestacks.
- Once Google Playstore is opened, search for Mi Home and download the application to the PC.
Since Bluestacks is an Emulator, the App setup will be the same as mentioned above
Now that the Home Security Camera has been set up, you will have uninterrupted access to watch in real-time what is happening at home.
- The Xiaomi Home Security Cameras are wireless and can be set-up anywhere near to a power source.
- The Home security camera pack includes Mi Home Security Camera, power adapter, user manual, wall mounting accessories pack, warranty card
- While mounting the camera on the wall, please note that the wall must be able to support at least triple the product’s total weight.
- To restore factory settings, press and hold the Reset button to restore your device to factory settings. Data stored on the MicroSD card is not erased
The Mi Homes Security Cameras come with an LED indicator light that displays if the device is connected or awaiting connection, the respective color indicators are:
- Steady blue on: connected/device status is normal
- Flashing blue: network error
- Flashing orange rapidly: waiting for connection
- Flashing orange slowly: system upgrade in progress
Installing a MicroSD Card
To access the MicroSD slot, simply adjust the camera lens upward until the MicroSD slot is revealed, then insert the MicroSD card into the slot.
- It is best to turn off the camera while doing this so as not to damage the camera/microSD.The cameras support up to 64GB as an expandable memory option.
Shared Remote Viewing
The Mi Home Security Cameras have a feature which enables the user to share the camera with a family member or friend to be viewed remotely, with the help of the Mi Home App.
Within the App head to ‘General Settings’ and select ‘Device Sharing’ followed by share with ‘Mi Accounts’
Automatic Monitoring is a feature that can be configured via the Mi Home App. The current options available for automatic monitoring are 24 hour, daytime, night time monitoring. The App also permits you to create custom schedules.
- Automatic monitoring works by detecting even the slightest movement within the camera’s range and sends a notice to the user that movement was detected in the room. The device also automatically records a clip of the cause of the movement and sends that across to the user.
The Video playback feature and recording of the live video are only enabled when a microSD card is inserted in the device. Turn on the Mi Home App and enter the UI of the playback feature and proceed to slide the timeline bar accordingly to pick the right time period you wish to view.
Infrared and Night vision
The Mi Home Security cameras come with infrared illuminators allowing the camera to view objects upto a distance of 29.5 feet /10 meters and can capture clear images in the dark.
Real time monitoring with AI motion detection
Using the Mi Home App, you’re able to view a connected camera on multiple devices in real-time with no delays, adjust the sharpness of the video and camera, change the viewing angles of the camera and even permit screen capture/record and act as a 2-way communicator. The camera comes pre-enabled with AI motion detection which alerts the owner of any movement within the room.
Xiaomi Mi Home Security Camera 360 1080P
The Mi Home Security Camera 360° is a low budget security camera from Xiaomi that has per-enabled AI Motion Detection. The home security camera 360° is available at $39.99 on Amazon
- The Mi 360° features a 1080p FHD Camera with an Integrated Talkback feature that allows 2 way audio. The camera as the name suggests provides 360° vision making sure the whole room is secured.
- With Infrared Night Vision, the Mi 360° covers even the darkest of rooms in the middle of the night for a complete secure home.
The Mi 360° is designed to be simple to look at with a glossy finish on the exterior and an inbuilt speaker and microphone located at the back of the device to communicate with whomever is in the room you’re monitoring. The device can be installed either vertically or can be inverted and positioned in the center of the ceiling in the room.
Mi Home Security Camera Basic 1080p
The Basic Home Security camera from Xiaomi is cheaper in terms of price but delivers an excellent user experience. The device is available on Amazon for $36.75 and comes loaded with all the features as the Mi 360° except the 360° surveillance.
- The Mi Home Security Camera Basic records in 1080p and uses an ultra wide 130° angle lens for a broader coverage of the room. Using AI Motion Detection and superior algorithms, the device will not alert you if a curtain moves or there’s an insect in the room.
- The camera also has infrared night vision which enables the camera to record in the darkness for constant and continuous security. The device is relatively small and compact making it easy to move and not be visible when positioned accordingly.
The Mi Home Security Camera has a talkback feature that allows you to listen to and converse with the person in the room you’re monitoring.
How do I set up my MI camera?
The Xiaomi Home Security Camera is easy to set-up device that literally can be done in 3 easy steps or roughly 5 minutes. The device when paired with the App delivers so much more and makes it all the more beneficial to the user. The Mi Home Security Cameras have proven time and again that it is a basic requirement in your everyday household, giving you the peace of mind you truly deserve.
To set up your Mi Camera all you have to do is download the mi home app, switch on your camera, connect it to the app and follow the prompts. Check out our article on How To Setup A Xiaomi Home Security Camera for the specific details.