Xiaomi is one of the biggest players in the consumer electronics space and boy do they build some of the best tech out there. They have some of the best quality products for super-affordable prices. One of their most amazing devices would have to be the Mi Gaming Laptop. Xiaomi Does have a few laptops under its belt but nothing comes close to the Mi Gaming Laptop. Check out Mi Gaming Laptop Price and Review for all the details.
The Mi Gaming Laptop isn’t like other gaming behemoths such as MSI or Alienware. In fact, this beast is more of the silent type. And, no I don’t mean the sound of the cooling fans.
This gaming laptop isn’t showy at all. It doesn’t have those amazing angular designs or RGB lighting all over its chassis. It looks super normal but underneath its humble exterior is a sleeping beast.
Well, lets move on to the Mi Gaming Laptop Price and Review. And get into the details, shall we?
Mi Gaming Laptop Price and Review 2020
Mi Gaming Laptop – Inside the Box
Interestingly, the latest Mi Gaming Laptop is packaged in a regular sturdy brown cardboard box. This is quite different from the previous models that came in a classy black package. Xiaomi is definitely cutting down costs on the packaging to save money. Regardless, the laptop itself is quite good. So it doesn’t really matter.
Inside the packaging, you will find:
- The laptop itself
- A Power brick and wires
Mi Gaming Laptop – Design
The laptop weighs about 2.6kg. The Mi gaming laptop isn’t that different from its predecessors in terms of design. It is still the same minimalistic design. In fact you can’t really tell its a gaming laptop till you turn it on and see the RGB keys light up and play a AAA game.
- The Xiaomi gaming laptop has a smooth finish and is quite bland in terms of design. What I mean is there is no flashy logo in the middle, engraved patterns or any sort of LED lights on the top or sides. This laptop also has a sturdy HP spectre style hinges.
- On the sides, you’ll find a vent on each side. On the left, there are two audio jacks. One for headphones and one for microphones. You will also find two USB-3.0 ports. On the right side, you will find an ultra-fast card reader and another USB-3.0 port.
- The Xiaomi Gaming laptop has a Gigabit LAN port at the backside along with a USB 3.0 and HDMI Port. The power port is also located at the back which was a very practical decision by Xiaomi as the wires don’t get in the way of gaming.
- Unfortunately, the type-C USB port seems to be missing from the latest version even though it existed in the previous generation. This is quite disappointing.
- When you flip over the laptop, you will find half of the laptop protected by a metallic plate and the other half being protected by a huge intake vent grill. The grill portion protects the two cooling fans and the copper pipes. The most useful thing is the large rubber foot at the back that raises the laptop, which improves the airflow.
While it seemingly looks humble, the laptop is definitely classy. However, you do find some branding. There’s a Mi logo below the screen.
Mi laptop – Screen
- This Mi laptop has a 15.6-inch Full HD display with slim bezels. The screen is matte and it has a rubbery finish around the edges which is pretty cool. The quality of the screen is pretty damn good. It’s like a fusion between quality plastic and a metallic finish.
- The display has refresh rate of 144 Hz, which is absolutely important for a gaming laptop. This is a vast improvement from the previous generations that only had a 60 Hz refresh rate.
- There is a 1 MP webcam at the top that has 720p quality with a led indicator at the side and a dual microphone at the sides.
Mi laptop – Keyboard
- The Keyboard is quite different from regular laptops as it has macro keys on the side. So it definitely does take a while to get used to it. There is no number pad, so the keys themselves are quite large and close together. The touchpad is quite large and takes up quite a bit of space.
- It is, of course, a backlit keyboard. It has RGB zones that you can control. The feel is quite nice and overall it is a good quality keyboard. But it does have minor issues.
- For example, the power button is next to the delete button which is annoying. So, you do need to pay attention when typing something.
- The other irritating thing is the placement of the macro keys. As a gamer, it can get annoying when the placement of the qwerty keyboard shifts a bit. Especially to the right, like in the case of this laptop. Ideally, the macro keys should have been on top, even if that meant reducing the size of the touchpad. After all, the majority of gamers don’t use the touchpad.
- Well, there are pros and cons to this situation. If you can get used to the keyboard that would be the best as the palm rests on the sides of the touchpad are quite big. So, this is definitely a plus to gamers with huge hands like mine.
Xiaomi Gaming Laptop – Function
Like all Xiaomi products, the laptop is in Chinese. While it is annoying it was expected, after all, it was meant for a Chinese market. But if you want to use it there are two ways:
- One, find a seller who will sell a laptop with re-installed “English” windows. Or, two, Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and then install an English language pack.
- The second option will be tedious but will help with re-sale. Also, you can get the drivers from the Xiaomi website. So, it’s not too much of a hassle.
- Once you’ve sorted the language problem, you will find that there is a lot of bloatware on the device. This seems to be the most annoying commonality between all Xiaomi products, but it really stands out on the laptop.
Xiaomi Gaming Laptop i7 – Performance
The highest-end base model is where the true value for money is at. Although the Xiaomi laptop is similar to is predecessors in terms of design, It is a completely different beast under the hood. Its smooth gameplay and fast processing speed can be attributed to the combination of the Hexa-core 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H processor combined and the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 GPU.
- This Xiaomi gaming laptop can definitely be considered on the higher end of gaming notebooks as it has a 512GB SSD and a 16 GB of RAM to support the epic processor/GPU line up. It can definitely handle most spec-depended games with ease.
- The thermals are more or less fantastic when compared to most of the gaming laptops out there. There is also a fan mode to supplement the cooling when you’re overclocking the device. The Fan mode can be easily accessed through a macro button. The Only issue is it sounds like a jet taking off, which is actually both scary and cool at the same time.
- The battery life of this laptop is quite average as it has a small 55 Wh battery. You should expect around 4.5 hours with extensive use and 6 hours with idle usage.
Overall, it has amazing performance. It can easily complete heavy tasks and delivers a lag and glitch free gaming experience. The bloatware is annoying, so it would be best to remove the non-essential apps.
Mi Gaming Laptop – Final Thoughts
Overall, The Mi Gaming laptop is a decent laptop with fantastic specs.
- The quality of the laptop is high, it has high-end processing power that can easily complete tasks and run high-quality games.
- The upgraded display with a refresh rate of 144 Hz is great.
- The placement of the ports, air vents and the presence of the rubber foot is extremely helpful for gamers.
- But it does have a few drawbacks. For example, the placement of the macro keys and the high sound when in fan mode. The loud noise can get annoying. But overall, the presence of the other plus points trump this. Especially, the price point.
Like most Xiaomi Products the Xiaomi laptop is a really good quality device that is super affordable when compared to other gaming laptops with the same specs.
- The upgraded display with a refresh rate of 144 Hz
- the high build quality
- The performance
- The value for money
- The placement of the delete button and macro keys
- The average battery life
- The sound when the device is in fan mode
- The lack of Type-C USB port.
Is Xiaomi laptop good?
Yes, Xiaomi Laptops are pretty damn good. They are pretty popular in the east even more so than Apple. Xiaomi Laptops have the more or less the same tech as the big brands but Xiaomi sells their laptops at a super affordable price. Almost half of the big brands.
But most, importantly, the specs are pretty damn good. For example, the Latest Mi gaming laptop comes with a Hexa-core i7 Processor and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 GPU. This allows you to play even the most spec-depended triple-A games with ease. It also has a dual cooling system and a new and improved display with a refresh rate of 144 Hz. Check out the Mi Gaming Laptop Price and Review for all the details.