As you all may already know, MIUI 12 is a modified and upgraded version of the Android operating system that is host to numerous customization options. I’ve been a fan of the MIUI OS as it’s similar to using a nice premium theme on your smartphone. There are altered icons, the layout is not the same as your typical Android and it looks and feels pretty solid. Although it’s out, it’s not available in most countries like India. So read our guide on When will MIUI 12 update come in India for more details.
With the launch of MIUI 12, Xiaomi has brought around significant features including the sought after Dark Mode 2.0, AI calling, Navigation gestures, an Always-On display and so much more. However, it also has certain irritating bloatware. So without further delay let’s delve into the rollout dates of the MIUI 12 along with their key upgrades and specifications.
Aliexpress Singles Day 2020 Offers 🎉🥳
- When will MIUI 12 update come in India
- What are the Features of MIUI 12 Global release?
- User Privacy
- Text Recognition
- Virtual Identity
- The Ultra Battery Saver Mode
- Sound Assistant
- Focus Mode
- Updated Control Centre
- Personalized Health App
- PIP (Picture in Picture)
- Dark Mode / Always on Display
- Super Wallpapers
- Weather App
- AI Calling
- When will MIUI 12 update come in India – Takeaway
When will MIUI 12 update come in India
Xiaomi has stated that if all the bugs and fixes are taken care off we should have no delay in receiving the latest MIUI 12. Here are the speculated release days:
Currently, the MIUI 12 is available in India, but only on 8 smartphones; the Redmi K20 Pro, Mi 9, Mi 9T, Mi 9T Pro, K20, Redmi 9 Pro Max, Mi10 and the Poco X2. Xiaomi has stated that the update will be rolled out to 20+ other models over the coming weeks and should be available on all supported devices by the end of 2020 to early 2021.
- Based on Xiaomi, the beta versions of the MIUI 12 are available online but I would not recommend downloading it to your phone unless you’re experienced in the process of rooting your phone and updating a beta version of the software.
The table below will give you a rough estimate of when each model will receive the MIUI 12 update.
|Model Names||Speculated Release Dates|
|Redmi Note 9, Note 9 Pro, Note 8, Note 8 Pro||October release|
|Redmi Note 7, Note 7 Pro, Poco M2 Pro, Poce F1||Between the last 2 weeks of October and November 15th|
|Redmi Note 7S, Redmi 8, Redmi 8A, 8A Dual, Redmi 7, Redmi 7A, Redmi 6 Pro and Redmi 6||November release|
|Redmi 6A, Note 5, Redmi Y3||End of 2020|
|Note 5 Pro and Note 6 Pro||First Quarter 2021|
Though we have the confirmed timeline for these models there are still few that have not received any expected rollout date.
These are the: Mi 10 Pro, POCO F2 pro, Mi 8, Mi 8 Pro, Mi MIX 3, Mi MIX 2S, Mi 9 SE, Mi 9 Lite, Mi MAX 3, Mi 8 Lite, Redmi Y3, Redmi Note 6 Pro, Redmi Note 5, Redmi Note 5 Pro, Redmi Y2/ Redmi S2, Mi Note 3, Mi MIX 2, Redmi Note 8T, Redmi Note 9s, Mi Note10 Lite and the Mi 10 Lite.
What are the Features of MIUI 12 Global release?
With the rollout currently in progress, I’m sure you’d be pleased to know that there are a few significant updates being brought to the MIUI OS. Let’s browse through the confirmed list of updates Xiaomi has released that are going to enhance your overall user experience.
- Xiaomi has worked around the clock to make sure their user’s data and files are kept private. With MIUI 12 you can expect just that, now validated with a TUV Rheinland certificate you can expect top-notch security on your Xiaomi smartphone. Xiaomi has released a statement about the user privacy wherein each time any application or game is opened on your phone, you’d be notified with what data is being accessed by the app.
- With MIUI 12 you will be able to cast your phone’s display to the big screen with the help of MiraCast. MiraCast comes with an inbuilt tool called private casting which allows you to cast your phone on the television but receive your notifications on your phone. This is done to minimize the interference while casting on the TV.
An extremely useful feature coming in the MIUI 12 is the ability to extract text from images. Yes, it’s finally here… this is known as the Optical Character Recognition feature and would allow you to edit the text in photos easily. Normally there are many third-party apps that are built for something like this but what makes this special is that it’s inbuilt in the Gallery App in the latest MIUI OS.
- Another brand new, unique feature coming to MIUI 12 is Virtual Identity. This allows you to safeguard all your personal information. What MIUI 12 does is that it creates a virtual id for you and replaces your real data by concealing it. This feature allows the end-user to pick what needs to be shared with applications and web pages.
The Ultra Battery Saver Mode
- Xiaomi has claimed that upon turning on the ultra battery saver, you’d be able to utilize your smartphone for up to 5 additional hours when your battery is extremely low. This is a good feature especially in times when you’re nowhere near your charger or power source. With the ultra battery saver on you will not receive notification for apps and games unless you specifically choose which apps to run and which would not be suitable for use at that time.
- The MIUI 12 update brings to you the ability to customize your volume output for each app. You can set and adjust the volume levels for apps such as Spotify, Facebook, Youtube and others. Found in the Settings tab under Sound & Vibration, the Sound Assistant can be really helpful while toggling between apps so as not to damage your speakers or your ears.
- As the name suggests, Focus mode allows you to work in peace without getting disturbed by non-stop notifications. This feature can be turned on for periods lasting between 20 to 180 minutes allowing you to concentrate on other tasks at hand.
Updated Control Centre
- With MIUI 12 the control centre can be accessed by swiping down from the top right corner of the UI and is laden with options for various settings and quick toggles. The control centre also comes equipped with a notification shade that can be accessed by swiping down from the top left side of the UI. The notification shade shows you a lot more detail of each notification in a single glance.
Personalized Health App
- The Health App designed for Xiaomi and Redmi smartphones permits you to track various patterns such as sleep, walking, steps taken for the day, swimming stroke pattern and much more. Another new feature with the Health App is as it tracks your sleep patterns the app also tracks whether you snore or not.
PIP (Picture in Picture)
- A feature that has made using a smartphone so much more enjoyable is available in the MIUI 12. The PIP feature eases multitasking by allowing you to use the floating window to play videos while you reply to texts or use any other app simultaneously. The PIP window or floating window can be resized to your liking or simply moved to a convenient spot on the home screen.
Dark Mode / Always on Display
- An updated and improved dark mode named Dark Mode 2.0 is equipped with some seriously strong adjustments that are beneficial to your eyes during the night. You have the regular dark mode followed by internal features such as automatic brightness, font adjustments and high colour saturation that work on various applications apart from only the UI.
- The AOD (Always on Display) as the name suggests displays notifications and other information on the display at all times. However, this is currently available only on Chinese versions of the OS and there’s no update on if the AOD feature would be included in the Indian release.
- With MIUI 12, you’ll have a range of uber-cool wallpapers specially curated from NASA. These are the surfaces of the Earth and Mars in ultra-high definition and would change based on the time of day; in the morning to evening the wallpaper would be bright with a daytime image and between evening to the following morning, the wallpaper will change to a dark image of the night sky or terrains on Earth and Mars during the night.
- With an updated interface, the new weather app lets you view actual real-life weather conditions outside your door or any place on Earth just by enabling location and selecting a city. For example, if it’s raining outside then the app will showcase rain falling in the background.
- Similar to Google’s Call Screening that’s in Pixel 3, the Xiaomi AI or the Xiao AI is currently developed to answer calls for the users. Here users are able to customize the language they want their calls answered in and can be switched between an automatic call answering mode or manual. This feature again is currently available only in the Chinese version of the OS and there’s no update that it would be included in the Indian launch.
When will MIUI 12 update come in India – Takeaway
With the advancement in the speed and user-friendly features of mobile smartphones, Xiaomi has pulled no stops when it comes to the MIUI 12. With an elegant OS user interface that is smooth like butter, compiled with updated applications for better privacy, the MIUI 12 is an Android skin we can all get behind.
Within India, the release on the MIUI 12 has begun with over 5-7 models receiving the update by far. The rest will take another 30 days to 3 months to get this version of the MIUI OS.
In the meantime keep a track on this page and any update notification you may receive on your Xiaomi smartphone as this is the next big operating system being rolled out in the market.
For any queries or doubts pertaining to the features and rollout dates listed above, please feel free to drop a comment below.
Is Miui 12 launched in India?
Although MIUI 12 update hit the certain phones in India on 19 June 2020. Majority of the phones have yet to receive the update. Xiaomi has stated all phones that were launched in the past two years will receive the MIUI 12 update from late 2020 to early 2020 in a scheduled fashion. Check out our guide on When will MIUI 12 update come in India for more specific details.