Xiaomi Aqara G2
The Xiaomi Aqara G2, Rated
- Camera Quality
- Remote Control
User Review( votes)
Xiaomi has made a few security camera devices. In fact their dome camera and their dash cam are some of their most popular products. Adding to their camera offerings is the Aqara G2. The Aqara G2 is a super awesome camera that is totally worthy. Let’s see what the Aqara G2 is capable of.
Xiaomi Aqara G2 Smart Camera
Inside the Box
You find the obvious items such as the camera unit, micro-usb cable, wall-plug and a wall-mounting plate. There is also an instruction manual.
The Aqara G2 is a pretty cute looking device that can fit in the palm of your hands. It is 82mm X 50mm X 55mm. It can fit in the palm of your hands quite easily. The base of the camera can be adjusted and rotated, which means you can tilt the camera and turn the camera and position it in a certain way. The back side has a speaker, which is unique to camera devices and also a micro-sd card slot. Let’s see how that can be put to use. The lens itself can cover an angle of 140 degrees. It has a micro-usb power slot in the back and a sensor in the front to record videos at night using infrared.
Function and Use
First things first, let’s understand the specs of the Xiaomi Aqara. This camera can shoot in 1920 X 1080 HD recording. It can be connected to a Wifi, but only a 2.4 Ghz connection. It has motion detection and sound detection features. From the outside, this might seem like a security camera, but if you are part of the Xiaomi Home ecosystem, then you will love this device as it also acts as a gateway for connecting all the Xiaomi devices.
So why is this better? Generally speaking there are Gateway Hub connectors that can connect up to 32 devices and perform no other role. You can use the Aqara G2 as a security camera and a Gateway hub, making it multi-functional.
It’s pretty easy to connect the Aqara G2 to the Mi Home App. All you had to do is add a new device, and scan the QR code shown on the screen and you will be good to go.
When it comes to security cameras, the use case is limited. But with the Aqara G2, there are a few things you can perform. Firstly, it is a security camera and it can capture real-time footage, even when there is super low light.
There is also a microphone button on the Mi-App that lets you speak through and communicate to whomever is close to the security camera itself. This is a 2 way audio, which helps with easy communication. You can also use the Mi App to shoot photos or videos in case you want to capture something specific. A security alarm also can be set.
In the settings section, there is a lot more you can do, which are
- Enable/Disable the status LED
- Enable/Disable the timestamp watermark
- Force to rotate the image
- Change infrared behaviour
- Choose the recording type – Either H.264 or H.265
- You can specify an area where you want to track motion detection. So for example, if there is a door and you’ve set the camera to detect motion from the door, then it will record and shoot videos and photos
- The SD card stores all the videos and photos
- Considering this is a gateway device, there are numerous options such as setting sensors for other devices such as the door and window sensor and ringing the alarm, if there is movement and so on.
The Xiaomi Aqara G2 is an upgrade and the second generation version of the Aqara. Now when it comes to a feature upgrade, there isn’t a major difference when it comes to camera quality. Although the Aqara G1 had a wider angle camera lens that could shoot a 180-degree angle. The G2 on the other hand has something the G1 will never have and that is being the gateway product. This might not seem like much for people who don’t have Xiaomi Mijia products. But if you do own Xiaomi home products such as sensors, switches, lights and more, this product will come super handy. You can control all the other devices, with the help of this once and create functions and automations that help you have a smooth experience. For example, you could trigger alarms and sensors if somebody moves the curtains for example. That is just one tiny feature that you could have. Overall, this is a pretty amazing product and its worth the money even as a security camera.
- High quality HD recording with 1920 X 1080 HD resolution
- Flexible positioning with the help of the moving base. You can turn it around, you can tilt it and more
- Works super smoothly with the Mi Home app
- The gateway functionality makes the Aqara G2 a must buy for Xiaomi Mijia lovers and users
- Works fabulously well in low light settings
- Does not have a wide angle lens compared to the G1
- Does not work with the Apple Home Kit
- Does not have a built-in functionality to move around remotely. So the angle you are watching is the only angle you can see, unless you manually change it.
Also Read :