With smartwatches dominating the wearable space, segments of smartwatches are beginning to pop up like mushrooms after a rain shower. Currently, Apple Watches dominate the high-end market and Xiaomi backed Amazfit watches the mid-range market. The low-range market is currently a battle royale between various brands. This is where Xiaomi is planning a revolution with it’s latest project. Check out the Xiaomi Backed Haylou Solar Smartwatch Review for more details.
Haylou is smart wearable manufacturer that’s part of the Xiaomi Youpin ecosystem. This company specializes in manufacturing high quality smart wearable technology at low prices. They recently launched the Haylou Solar Smartwatch which took the world by storm. It’s a highly capable watch that’s extremely affordable.
Since, it’s such a popular low range watch we’ve decided to extensively review it. Anyway let’s get to it, shall we? Here’s the Xiaomi Backed Haylou Solar Smartwatch Review.
Xiaomi Backed Haylou Solar Smartwatch Review 2020
Inside The Box
Since the Haylou Solar smartwatch comes in a black box that’s inside a white and blue outer cover. On the front portion of the cover, you’ll find an image of the device upfront and the technical specs on the sides. Inside the Box you’ll find:
- A magnetic charging cable
- And the Haylou Solar Smartwatch itself
Xiaomi Haylou Solar Watch – Design
You can definitely tell this watch is related to Xiaomi in some way or the other. This watch has a simple design scheme: a black body that projects elegance and simplicity. The watch is housed in a black metal case and a black band made from premium silicone that’s sweat and water-resistant.
- This smartwatch has a round dial that reminiscent of a traditional analogue watch. As mentioned earlier this dial-in encased in a metal exterior that provides a certain amount of drop resistance allowing you to freely enjoy sports like hiking.
- With dimensions of 45 x 45 x 11 mm and a weight of 45 grams, this watch feels like a breeze on your wrist. In fact, you can go pretty hard during workouts and barely feel any discomfort.
- The Haylou Solar has a 1.28″ TFT touch display with a resolution of 240 x 204 p. Although it’s not a top tier display, the size of the touch screen along with the brightness levels results in a pretty good viewing and user experience. At the end of the day, it does a good job displaying the information in a clear and clean manner.
- This smartwatch has a frosted back cover that is not only ascetically appealing but it also is highly practical as it prevents adsorption on the skin and makes it much more comfortable during exercise.
This smartwatch has only one button, which is located on the right side of the dial. It can be used to turn the watch on/off and to go back the home screen.
Haylou Solar – Set Up
Unfortunately, you cannot use this watch right from the get-go. You will need to set it up using the Haylou Fit App. While this might seems alright from a fitness enthusiasts perspective, it still irritating to do this as a common user since you’d expect the watch to support app downloads.
While it seems tedious, you will be able to access quite a bit of interesting features that will make your life more convenience once you set it up.
- To start off with, you will need to install the Haylou Fit App on your phone by downloading it from the App store.
- Once this is done you can easily pair the watch using Bluetooth.
- When it’s done pairing, the watch will sync your heart rate and movement data.
- Now, you can update the firmware of the watch through the app.
- Once, this is done your pretty much done. You sue the watch as you see fit.
However, if you’re in the mood to customize your experience then you can use the app to synchronize the step counter and sync in-depth fitness and heart-rate data. Most importantly, you can set up the apps that you want to notify you. For example, by enabling twitter and message notifications, you’ll be able to see it pop up on your Haylou Solar Smartwatch.
Haylou Solar Smartwatch Features
Using the Haylou Solar Smartwatch isn’t as complicated as it might seem. In fact, it’s pretty simple even when compared to other smartwatches in the same range. However, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As they say, simple is best.
- You can access a quick menu by swiping from top to bottom. On the Quick Menu you’ll find the brightness control, a don not disturb me function, a find my phone option and an access icon that will let you get to the app settings.
- By pressing and holding the home screen you can change the watch face. Unfortunately, you don’t have access to 100+ watch faces like other Xiaomi Watches which is a bummer.
- When you swipe horizontally, you get access to the quick view of some important apps such as step counter and heart rate monitor, weather monitor and much more.
- By swiping from bottom up, you get to access the apps list. Form this list you can control both sports and non-sports apps such as music controller and your notification list that is pushed through from your phone.
You can set it up to show the watch face when you raise your hand. This honestly, makes things a lot more convenient.
You can access 12 sports modes from the start menu. These sports modes are:
- Fast walking
- Indoor Running
- Free training
The Haylou Solar has 12 sports-modes that are more than just basic guidance, it can be as comprehensive and professional if you use it right. Using the app you can record your various sports data and health status, and create a plan to better your health and fitness.
This Xiaomi Backed Haylou Solar Smartwatch is IP68 Waterproof. Basically, this rating proves that this watch is cable of dealing with limited water like rain and sweat but it is not capable of handling swimming or diving. It should be fine when you wash your hands. However, do let it come into contact with hot water.
This Haylou smartwatch has pretty accurate sensors that can monitor your heartbeat but 24/7 and also moment data. If there are any abnormalities, the watch will adjust the exercise plan. Like most modern smartwatches it is also equipped with a sleep monitor and management system to help with your sleep pattern and overall health.
Xiaomi Haylou Solar Review – Battery life
The Haylou Solar is equipped with a 340 mAh battery which can last for 30 days on a single charge. Honestly, this feature of the watch is pretty awesome.Even if you use the 24/7 heart rate monitor, it’ll still last for 15 days. With all the various things this watch can pull off, we really need to give credit to the manufacturers for the amazing battery life.
- Another useful thing is the magnetic charging cable. Basically, this cable snaps on to the watch through a magnet which is super convenient as you don’t have to separate the main body from the band like many of the smartwatches out there. Xiaomi Recently released the same charger with the Mi Band 5.
Xiaomi Backed Haylou Solar Smartwatch Review – Final Thoughts
All in All this is a pretty good watch. Not only is it good looking but it also has cool features that make your fitness journey much smoother.
- The Design of the watch is good enough, i personally find the minimal design scheme and the Analogue vibe appealing. It has a decent touch screen and user interface. However, the pixel quality of the watch could have been a bit better. But it does a decent job so it fine. Especially, if you consider the fact that this watch is priced only at 40$.
- Yes, it’s a pretty cheap watch that offers tremendous fitness support with its varied sports modes. It also has is equipped with surprisingly accurate health trackers which do a great job adapting the exercise regimen based on individual needs.
- The general user interface along with the daily use apps is good enough, it clearly does not have the capabilities of high-end watches but that’s alright, after all, I personally don’t need another smartphone on my wrist. If your planning to buy this watch I can honestly say you won’t be disappointed.
Is the Haylou Solar a Xiaomi Smartwatch?
Indirectly, yes, the Haylou Solar Smartwatch is a Xiaomi Product. Smart Wearable manufacturer Haylou is a part of Xiaomi’s Youpin ecosystem. Which basically, means that Xiaomi owns or has at least has a stake in Haylou. This means that all Haylou products belong to Xiaomi in one way or another. You can be assured that with Xiaomi overlooking things, the Haylou Solar will be of the highest quality. Check out our Xiaomi Backed Haylou Solar Smartwatch Review for more details.