An Amazing TV Experience!
Store Name: HXML Store
Store Description: The HXML store is the store with all the amazing Xiaomi gadgets. Especially the most brilliant ones like the Mi Box and the Airdots.
Price range: US $53.73 - 56.76
Streaming and Gaming
Xiaomi has made its way into every product category, one of the underrated or rather unknown product segments is the TV category. Xiaomi makes some kick-ass TVs and TV-related devices. They started off by launching the Mi Box gives which converted any monitor into a TV that let you access apps like Netflix and more.
While it had its share of problems, Xiaomi improved with the Mi Box S. But is it enough? We have tested it over a period of time and we’ve done a comprehensive Xiaomi Mi Box S Review for you guys.
With smart TVs being the norm, the era of TV boxes is coming to an end. Most people buying a new TV will get a smart TV, so do TV boxes and sticks like the Xiaomi Mi Box S make sense?
The Mi Box is pretty cool. But, should you buy it? Is it worth it? Let’s find out! Here’s the Xiaomi Mi Box S Price and Review.
After having reviewed the Xiaomi Mi Box Sand the latest 2nd Gen based on various factors like design, performance, UI, functions, features, and much more; My team and I found that:
Considering the enhancements brought by the Mi Box S 2nd Gen, it emerges as the superior choice for users seeking a cutting-edge streaming experience.
With a more robust processor, advanced video and audio support, and upgraded wireless capabilities, it offers a compelling package.
The inclusion of HDMI 2.1 and Google TV further solidify its position as a top contender in the Android streaming device market. For those valuing higher video quality and modern software features, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen undoubtedly takes the lead.
Related: Xiaomi TV Stick/Box vs Chromecast
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Which One Should You Buy in 2023?
The Mi Box S and its recent upgrade, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen (2023), are two of Xiaomi’s leading Android streaming devices.
With the original Mi Box S having dominated the market for over five years, the revamped 2nd Gen version brings some exciting updates.
Let’s delve into the key differences between the two, helping you make an informed purchase decision.
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Design and Dimensions
Right off the bat, both devices boast the same sleek, compact black design. They share identical dimensions, measuring 95.25mm in length and width, with a thickness of 16.7mm. However, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen edges ahead in terms of weight, coming in at a slightly lighter 142g, compared to the original Mi Box S at 147g.
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Operating System and Software
The Mi Box S and its 2nd Gen counterpart present a clear evolution in their operating systems and software, with a notable distinction between the two. The Mi Box S relies on Android 8.1, a robust platform known for its versatility.
In contrast, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen steps up the game by adopting Google TV, ushering in a more contemporary interface and streamlined navigation.
This enhancement greatly facilitates content discovery, providing an intuitive and seamless experience.
Google TV not only refines the user interface but also introduces a host of compelling features. Building on the solid foundation of Android TV, it delivers a more sophisticated UI, elevating the overall user experience.
With additions like Live TV, Watch List, and enhanced personalization options, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen offers a feature-rich environment that caters to diverse entertainment preferences.
This upgrade represents a significant leap forward, promising a more engaging and tailored viewing experience for users.
Also check out: How to Install Apps on a Xiaomi TV 2023 | Complete Guide
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Processor, Memory, and Storage
Delving into the core components, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen boasts a commendable upgrade in its processing prowess.
Equipped with a Quad-Core Cortex-A55 CPU and an ARM Mali G31 MP2 GPU, it offers a noticeable performance boost compared to its predecessor, the original Mi Box S.
The previous model housed a Cortex-A53 Quad-Core 64-Bit CPU and a Mali-450 GPU, making this update a noteworthy advancement in processing capabilities.
However, it’s worth noting that both models maintain consistency in their memory and storage capacities. With 2GB of RAM and 8GB of eMMC storage, Xiaomi has chosen to stick with the tried-and-true configuration, perhaps to the delight of fans who were anticipating an upgrade in this department.
This ensures that users can expect a familiar level of performance and storage capabilities, while also benefiting from the enhanced processing power of the Mi Box S 2nd Gen.
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Video and Audio Support
When it comes to video and audio support, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen takes a leap forward, showcasing an impressive array of features that outshine its predecessor.
This new iteration boasts enhanced video decoder support, capable of delivering stunning visuals at up to 4K resolution and an impressive 60 frames per second. Moreover, it offers a rich audio experience with support for Dolby Audio, DTS-HD, Dolby Vision, and HDR10+ technologies, ensuring users enjoy an immersive and high-quality cinematic experience.
On the other hand, the original Mi Box S maintains respectable video capabilities, supporting 4K resolution at 60fps, along with VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2/4, and VC-1 codecs. While it provides a commendable viewing experience, it falls short in comparison to its successor’s advanced video decoding capabilities, particularly in terms of Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support.
In terms of audio, both devices stand firm, offering Dolby Audio and DTS support. This ensures that you can expect crisp and clear sound quality, whether you’re immersed in a thrilling action sequence or catching up on the latest dialogue-heavy drama.
Overall, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen’s superior video decoder support and advanced audio technologies set a new standard for home entertainment, promising a viewing experience that’s both visually captivating and acoustically immersive.
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Wireless Connectivity and Ports
With regards to wireless connectivity, both the Mi Box S and Mi Box S 2nd Gen offer users identical options with support for WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac across both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. This ensures a reliable and versatile connection for all users, catering to a wide range of networking needs.
However, a significant deviation arises in the realm of Bluetooth support. The Mi Box S 2nd Gen uses Bluetooth 5.2, providing enhanced connectivity options and faster data transfer speeds. In contrast, the original Mi Box S lags behind with Bluetooth 4.0, which, while still functional, may not offer the same level of efficiency and performance.
Notably, the Mi Box S 2nd Gen introduces a game-changing advancement with HDMI 2.1, a substantial upgrade from its predecessor’s HDMI 2.0. This technological leap opens up a world of possibilities, including support for 8K resolution at 60 frames per second and 4K at an impressive 120 frames per second.
Additionally, it brings Dynamic HDR support and eARC capabilities to the table, promising a heightened visual and audio experience for users.
Mi Box S vs. Mi Box S 2nd Gen : Pricing
When it comes to pricing, both the original Mi Box S and the Mi Box S 2nd Gen offer consumers an attractive range of options. The original Mi Box S typically falls within the $50-70 bracket, a reasonable investment for the features and capabilities it provides. This flexible pricing range allows users to choose based on their budget and specific preferences.
The Gen 2 on the other hand is priced at $70 which is a fair amount considering the significant upgrades in the performance and connectivity fields. This positions the 2nd Gen model competitively within the market, offering a slight increment in cost for potentially enhanced features and performance.
Xiaomi Mi Box S Price and Review
Inside the Box
The first thing you notice is the packaging which is all in English because this product is created for the international market. When you open the box, you see the Mi Box S which is black in color and square-shaped. Mi Box comes only in one color and this isn’t something to consider before purchasing.
- Instruction sheets in English
- An HDMI cable
- A remote control
- A power adapter to charge the device
- And two AAA batteries for the remote.
|Xiaomi Mi Box S|
|Dimensions||95.25 x 95.25 x 16.7 mm|
|Output Resolution||4K (3840 x 2160)|
|CPU||Cortex-A53 Quad-core 64bit|
|Operating System||Android 8.1|
|Video decoder||4K@60fps, VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1, Real8/9/10|
|Video Format||RM, MOV, VOB, AVI, MKV, TS, Mp4, 3D|
|Audio decoder||DOLBY, DTS|
|Audio Format||MP3, APE, Flac|
|Image decoder||JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIF|
|Ports||HDMI 2.0a, USB2.0, Power Interface, Audio Out|
The Mi Box S makes a great first impression. The packaging alone is elegant – it is safe to say that a lot of companies have invested a lot of time in ensuring they make an excellent first impression, and Xiaomi is no exception.
- The packaging contains the sleek rectangular Mi TV Box S, made of durable plastic with clean rounded edges and a matte finish that looks gorgeous. The whole box is 9.5cm X 9.5 cm and the thickness is 1.6cm which makes it a very petite device.
- Along with this, comes a Google assistant-enabled slim remote which runs on two AAA batteries.
- There is also an HDMI cable to connect the box to the TV, a power adapter, and a 3.5mm Audio Jack.
- The MI box S looks super neat with the MI logo on the top.
- The back of the Mi Box S houses the ports for the power cord, audio-out, USB drive, and HDMI cable.
- There is no Ethernet port but it enables the latest wifi connectivity and can quickly and easily connect to your home Internet.
The remote is small in size and matches the elegance of the TV Box has a button dedicated to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Google Assistant.
- This may not seem like a big deal, but when we used it, we did like having that little feature.
- The familiar round menu button is surrounded by the navigation buttons in the center of the remote.
- The volume can be adjusted by the button on top of the MI logo.
- Can feel a tad bit delicate because of the plastic used to make it but it does the job.
- Voice control feature, where you can change programs with your voice.
- Live Button.
Xiaomi Mi Box S Features
The Xiaomi Mi Box S may be inexpensive, but that doesn’t mean it lacks functionality; it supports 4K and HDR and is only $60 (around £50, AU$ 80).
The Mi Box S not only supports high-resolution video but also comes pre-installed with Android TV 8.1. You will thus be able to utilize the vast ecosystem of Android TV apps as well as services like Google Cast, the ability to mirror your Android phone, Google Assistant, and more.
You have access to a wide variety of apps through Android TV as well. There are obvious ones like Netflix and YouTube, but there are also many games and less well-known services like Google Assistant that can be useful.
The ability to utilize a voice Assistant to manage your TV is convenient. Assistant has developed into one of, if not the, most potent digital assistants available. Google Assistant could control your complete home entertainment system, including turning on and off your TV and receiver, with an HDMI CEC setup.
How to Setup the Xiaomi Mi Box S
Setting up the Mi Box S is fairly simple:
Step 1 Power the Mi Box. Just plug the power cable into the Mi Box S and a power socket.
Step 2 Connect the Mi Box S to your TV using the HDMI cable.
Step 3 Add the batteries to the remote
Step 4 Now, you can start scrolling away. The Mi User Interface will take you through some setup procedures so make sure you’re connected to the internet.
Step 5 Once this is done, the setup is basically complete. Just update your firmware if necessary and start streaming.
The setup should also take you about 6 to 7 minutes to fully set up.
Coming to the main aspect of the Mi Box S is the User Interface. Immediately you notice there are 3 to 4 commonly used apps such as Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, and more.
- The settings of the Mi Box S are similar to the settings on Android devices, which makes it easy to use and intuitive.
- You can change the language, sound, wallpapers and access memory options, and more.
- It’s also enabled with Google Assistant. It uses voice to help you find the program you want. You can also use voice commands to do a Google search. This is a big value addition to the product.
- Being an Android TV, you can access the Play Store and install apps directly to the device.
- You see a row of applications on the screen of your TV, with your most-used apps right on top, making it easy for you to select and start playing.
- There is also a row below it with “quick play” shows and movies to resume what you were already watching.
- This is quite helpful, especially for those who don’t want to be wasting time looking for their frequently watched program.
Gaming, Video, and Sound
One of the most important features of this TV box is the gaming option.
- For gaming, the Xiaomi Mi Box S is not good, as the quad-core CPU and 2GBs of RAM can only power lo end games. But even then you will need an Android-compatible gaming controller to game on it.
- The Mi Box S supports Dolby Audio and it also renders videos in 4K Ultra HD for TVs or monitors that support 4k HD. I was impressed with the image quality.
- You get Chromecast with the Mi Box S. The lack of an Ethernet Port does not affect the internet as it works blazingly fast with Wi-Fi.
This Xiaomi Mi Box S is equipped with Google Assistant. One of the most useful aspects of this feature is not just navigating the interface but you can also avail the voice search feature.
With this feature, you can not only search for your favorite shows but also search for photos, check the weather, and even set an alarm.
I was surprised at how good voice recognition worked. There were a few times when it didn’t work well, but 8/10 times it was spot on.
The MI box S connects easily to the internet without any lag or hassle. It works on a Quad-core Cortex-A53 processor, just like the previous version.
- What we liked is that the setup is also easy and takes less than 5 mins to get it up and going.
- You can log in with your Google account, which makes like really convenient; you don’t have to remember one more password.
- Once connected, the operation is smooth thanks to the Android 8.1 Oreo operating system.
- You have full access to the google play store which houses thousands of apps for you to choose from.
- The navigation is quite smooth and simple to understand.
- The remote is very responsive and the google assistant is able to recognize the voice without any trouble.
Here are a few other features that are worth a mention:
- There are a few new and extra buttons on the remote of the Mi Box S, compared to the previous one. The Netflix button is a welcome feature as it instantly launches Netflix and you can log in and start watching your favorite movies
- The USB port on the rear side is a welcome add-on as you can connect your external hard drive or a flash drive and play your movies and other content. Use the USB port to also connect your game controllers and other accessories
- The internal storage of 8GB may not seem a lot but it’s not bad considering that that is not the primary function of this device.
- As mentioned earlier, the Xiaomi Mi Box S has an inbuilt Chromecast with which you can mirror your phone or laptop onto the screen. We tested this out and it works smoothly. So you can enjoy sharing and viewing photos on the big screen now. This also lets you play videos from your phone onto the television screen.
- The image clarity is sharp, though it also depends on your TV’s quality
- The volume button on the remote is a useful feature. Unlike Apple TV Box remotes, you only need to handle one remote here for all your needs
- This TV box is compact, doesn’t take up much space, and is lightweight, so you can move this around between your TVs or take this with you on your trips and easily set it up within minutes. This is one of the reasons it makes it to the top of the Top Xiaomi Home Appliances list.
Issues with the Xiaomi Mi Box S
Even the best gadgets could be improved to make them better. Here are a few issues that, if fixed, could make our TV Box experience even better than it already is:
- The Mi Box S does a splendid job playing the 1080p content on the screen but starts to lag a bit when we try and play the 4K content. But that being said, maybe the bug fixes and the software updates will take care of the problem.
- Secondly, the phone mirror feature works well only when the device is switched on, whereas, with other SMART televisions, this feature usually works even when the screen is off. But hey, we don’t think this should be a major deal-breaker when you consider the huge savings you get when you buy a TV Box instead of a brand new Smart TV!
- Amazon Prime cannot be accessed using the Mi Box S. If you have an annual subscription to the app and watch some shows regularly, you might miss this. Let’s hope Xiaomi strikes a deal with Amazon and includes this in their next upgrade.
Xiaomi Mi Box S – Pros and Cons
- Runs on stock Android that has myriad options.
- Supports 4K video.
- Enables high graphics gaming.
- Has a built-in Google Assistant feature that helps you find your programs quickly and also perform Google searches.
- The remote control also works well with all the important controls available.
- The lack of an ethernet port may be a con for a few people.
- Lag on the 4K.
- Certain conditions need to be satisfied to use the phone mirror feature.
Mi TV Box S – Price and Conclusion
Price is something that cannot be overlooked, no matter what you want to buy. The Xiaomi Mi Box S costs 64 USD right now, which is more than its launch price of 50 USD. For the price, I would not recommend it, especially in 2022. It was once a competitive product, that offered unique features, but now, I would recommend investing in a second-hand smart TV.
If you have to buy a Xiaomi Mi Box S, then you can as it is still better than most of the alternatives. But just know that you won’t get the snappy performance or good software support.
Convert your regular TV into a Smart TV with the Xiaomi Mi TV Box S
Smart Television has become a necessity in this age of the internet. Right from catching those popular shows on Netflix to some of the most trending videos on Youtube, watching them on a phone or a laptop simply does not have the same appeal anymore. You just cannot imagine life without a smart TV and today, there are a lot of options to choose from.
- However, if you have an “unsmart” TV (a new term for the millennial) right now, and you’re eyeing that swanky, new smart TV in the market, complete with 4K HD, it might, unfortunately, seem a bit of a pocket drainer. But no need to worry as we can now transform any TV into a SMART TV with the help of an Android TV box or an Apple TV box. Check out our Xiaomi Mi Box S Price and Review for more details.
Is the Xiaomi TV box good?
While Apple has always been the more popular, stylish sister, Android is in a league with its subtle elegance and functionality.
It has been a race well fought by a lot of players and few have managed to do wonders. One such brand is Xiaomi and what it has done with its latest product out in the market, the Xiaomi Mi TV Box S is truly commendable. This is a definite upgrade from its predecessor, the Xiaomi first-generation Mi Box. Check out our Xiaomi Mi Box S Price and Review for more details.
What’s the difference between the Mi Box and Mi Box S?
Yes, all you tech-savvy people would have a lot to comment on the first generation Mi Box and how it had to be constantly rebooted to watch one single movie and how the screen used to freeze every now and then. But, Xiaomi has come a long way from that and has released this wonderful product that has overcome all the issues we faced with the previous one.
This one runs on the latest Oreo platform and has a voice-controlled remote which will listen to you and launch your favorite shows and movies through Google Assistant. Check out our Xiaomi Mi Box S Price and Review for more details.
How to use Xiaomi Box S?
Setting up the Mi Box S is fairly easy. Use the HDMI cable and connect your Monitor to the Mix Box S. Now, Connect to your Wi-Fi, and then you can start streaming. The setup should also take you about 6 to 7 minutes to fully set up. You can always refer to the instruction manual in case you need help with wiring or ports. Check out our Xiaomi Mi Box S Price and Review for more details.
Say Yes to Xiaomi! I am one of the BIG FAN to Xiaomi Products. I can’t resist the things they created or partner within their ecosystem. So my advice to you is “JUST BUY LAH”!
Table of Contents