Over the last few years, TV’s have been improving on various fronts, be it picture quality or the dimensions or even the thickness for that matter. However, there is one feature that has not been improved and that is the audio experience and sound quality. An internal speaker system just cannot compare to an external sound system. Check out our Xiaomi Mi Soundbar Review for more details.
Although everyone would love to watch their favorite shows in 7.1 surround sound, this kind of external sound system will cost you an insane amount of money. This is where soundbars really shine. Not only do they have brilliant sound quality but they are also quite budget-friendly.
And Xiaomi’s new Mi Soundbar is the best in the market. Like all Xiaomi products, it makes uses of stellar technology and is extremely budget-friendly. This soundbar has 8 speaker drivers for enhancing sound and can even be connected to your smartphones via Bluetooth and it overall enhances the audio experience.
- Xiaomi Mi Soundbar Review 2021
- Inside the Box
- Xiaomi Soundbar Review – Design and Appearance
- Mi Home Theatre – Function and Use
- Xiaomi TV Bar – Performance
- Mi TV Sound – Key Features
- Xiaomi Mi Soundbar Review – Final Thoughts
Xiaomi Mi Soundbar Review 2021
|Overall Sound Quality||9/10|
|Stability and Ruggedness||8|
|Overall Product Quality||8,5/10|
Inside the Box
Like most Xiaomi products, the soundbar comes in a sturdy white box with the specifications on the side. On the front of the box, you’ll find the image of the device. Inside the box, you’ll find the
- The Xiaomi Soundbar Itself
- A power cable and a SPDIF cable
- You also get screws in case you decide to mount the soundbar to a wall
1 Unit Contains: 1x Mi Soundbar, 1x User Manual, 1x Adapter, 1x SPDIF Cable, 2 Wall Mount screws + 2 Expansion screws
Xiaomi Soundbar Review – Design and Appearance
Considering the aggressive pricing of the soundbar, it is built quite well. It has a white polycarbonate exterior with a fabric front that gives the Mi Soundbar a Google Home-like vibe.
Although white makes the soundbar look clean and minimalistic, it would be a great option to opt for the Soundbar in Black since most of the TV units are black. The unit comes with brackets at the back to mount the soundbar. The front of the device has a fabric mesh giving it a premium look and feel.
As for controls, the physical buttons are located at the top of the soundbar for the various input modes and volume controls and the rear has the input modes along with a dedicated power switch. The Mi Soundbar is at a reasonable length of 33 inches making it perfect for any household.
Mi Home Theatre – Function and Use
Xiaomi has stated that it would take roughly 30 seconds or less to power on the soundbar and connect it to any device. All you would have to do is simply connect the soundbar to a power source, turn it on, connect it to the TV with either the SPDIF, Optical or Bluetooth using the inputs available at the top of the device and voila, you now have uninterrupted good quality sound.
Operating the Mi Soundbar is quite simple, the power switch at the back of the device turns it on with the last used input mode or source selected. If the Mi Soundbar is being used primarily with the TV you would be able to control the volume of the soundbar with the TV remote.
Switching to an alternate source is easy, all you have to do is reach out and press the appropriate source button at the top of the soundbar, a small LED indicator will light up when the primary inputs are being changed to show that it is active.
Unfortunately, when it comes to Bluetooth, unlike most other devices the Xiaomi Mi Soundbar only remembers one Bluetooth device at a time. This would be an issue for those who would like to use the soundbar to play music externally while also staying connected to the TV.
Xiaomi TV Bar – Performance
Though the Mi Soundbar does not have an inbuilt subwoofer, the inbuilt speakers pack quite a punch. Upon inspection, we have two 20mm dome tweeters, four passive radiators, and two 2.5 inch woofer drivers. A total of 8 drivers that have a positive effect on each other and improve the quality of the sound by a considerable degree. The volume output was the biggest improvement from traditional soundbars; the Mi soundbar was louder than what you’d expect from most TV’s.
Since soundbars are supposed to improve the quality and volume capabilities of a TV, you can expect a significant increase in both factors. Especially for the low price. In fact, the volume is outstanding. It can achieve an output of around 20W. However, I wouldn’t recommend setting high volumes as it can cause distortion in the sound. Especially on the highs. If your turn it up to 100, you can even hear it affecting the mids.
The audio tuning in the soundbar is designed for typical TV viewing wherein Xiaomi has ensured a good mid-range in terms of audio output. Movies and TV shows that depend on deep bass and deep music for their dramatic effect sounded pretty decent on the Mi soundbar. With the sound being extremely clear, it was definitely worth the investment. Even my grandad with hearing issues could catch the district sounds and low voices of the actors with ease.
The Mi Soundbar has a wide soundstage namely due to the multiple drivers and length of the device as compared to typical Bluetooth speakers, but is not so wide on the soundstage while comparing it to high-end Bluetooth towers/soundbars which focus primarily on the sound effect.
It does have it’s cons. While soundbars are supposed to project audio in a surround sound manner to the entire room, this one only projects it’s sound in a narrow manner. Meaning you need to sit directly in front of the soundbar for the best experience. Another irritating con is that although it can be connected to a music player via Bluetooth, the Music experience is complete shit. It best used to elevate the TV experience as it improves the BGM more than the vocal aspect.
Mi TV Sound – Key Features
Each soundbar is designed to provide the users with a variety of features to make their experience positive. With the Xiaomi Mi Soundbar, you have the following:
- Room Filling Sound: Xiaomi has packed their soundbar with 8 sound drivers to deliver exceptional sound and audio performance.
- Multiple Connectivity Options: S/PDIF, Optical, Aux-In, Line in and Bluetooth
- Minimalistic Design: A classy fabric mesh front complementing the bar shape design
- 30 Second Setup: Effortless setup for the tabletop or simply mount it on the wall; insert the S/PDIF cable into the soundbar and TV; Power-on the device
- Speaker setup:
- 20mm dome tweeter x2 – For clear treble to compliment the bass and depth of the sound
- Passive radiators x2 – Amplifies the bass for a better experience
- 2.5” woofer drivers x2 – Covers the mid-tones and high-frequency notes
- High-speed Bluetooth 4.2 LE feature: Seamless connectivity and supports A2DP music playback
- Weight: 1.925kg
- Wall Mount Dimensions: 416mm width
- Frequency Response Range: 50 Hz – 25000 Hz ( -10 dB)
- Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Xiaomi Mi Soundbar Review – Final Thoughts
Xiaomi has managed to undercut its competition across various categories namely, smartphones, lifestyle and improvement, smart home devices and fitness related products. The first-ever soundbar launched by Xiaomi, the Mi Soundbar sticks to this aggressive pricing model.
Is the product worth it? Yes, this is a great companion for your TV within a really reasonable price margin. It packs quite a punch, delivering clear sound whether you’re playing games, watching movies or simply listening to music. The Mi Soundbar is built well and is quite rugged with a nice smooth finishing.
The lack of the subwoofer would be a drawback but on the other hand, it does come at an exceptionally low price of 68$ for the specs listed above, the Mi Soundbar remains unmatched in this price range. If you have a budget of only 100$ look no further, the Mi Soundbar sounds better and looks reasonably decent than most soundbars in this segment.
|Affordable and Cheap price point||No Remote Controller|
|Easy to setup and use||One device can be connected at a time via Bluetooth|
|Tuned primarily as a TV soundbar||Only cable included in the box is the S/PDIF|
|Crisp audio, dialogues and background noises are clear|
Steps to Connect a Bluetooth device to the Mi Soundbar
- Plugin the Soundbar and turn it on.
- Press and hold the Bluetooth button located on the top of the device for 3-5 seconds until the Bluetooth indicator starts blinking.
- Open the Bluetooth settings page on your device (Laptop/Mobile) which you wish to connect and select ‘Mi Soundbar’ from the list of available devices.
- To pair a new device, press and hold the Bluetooth button at the top of the Soundbar for 2-5 seconds until the blue indicator light blinks rapidly and follow step 3 again.
How to Mount the Mi Soundbar at home?
- Using a pencil, mark the position on the wall where you want to drill the holes. Make sure it’s at a desirable height.
- The point between the two holes has to be 416mm in length.
- Drill holes in the marked locations on the wall.
- Slide the expansion anchor (provided in the box) to each of the two holes in the wall. Insert the screws (provided in the box) into each of the respective anchors in the wall and screw them in tightly.
- Mount the Soundbar onto the screws
- Power Switch allocated at the top: Allows you to turn your Mi Soundbar ON and OFF
- Input Toggle Buttons allocated at the top: Allows you to change the primary source to any of the available options, namely:
- Volume control allocated at the top: Allows you to manually increase or decrease the volume.
- Main power switch allocated at the back of the Soundbar: Is the main power switch that permits the inflow of current to the Soundbar so that it may be powered on.
Is MI soundbar good?
Yes, the Mi soundbar is one of the best external audio devices in the market. Not only does is look good but it also has a brilliant sound quality. Most importantly, it’s one of the most affordable soundbars in the market.
The Xiaomi soundbar is equipped with 8 driver which elevates the sound quality to an astonishing level. You can also hook up your smartphone to the device and play you favorite tunes. Check out our Xiaomi Mi Soundbar Review for more details.
- Where to buy Xiaomi Tv’s in Singapore?
- How does the Xiaomi W-Fi Repeater Work?
- Check out this amazing guide to the Xiaomi Smart Home.
Table of Contents