Xiaomi has refined its laptop game over the past few years with various Macbook alternatives and gaming laptops. While the majority have them have been decent laptops. Nothing has been overwhelmingly fantastic. Xiaomi launched the RedmiBook 16 Ryzen last month and it definitely has the makings of a flagship. However, is it a beast like the manufacturers claim? check out our Xiaomi Redmi Book 16 Review for all the details.
Featuring 16-inch display with a 16:10 aspect ratio and a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. The display is one of the most unique things about this laptop. It has a feature that lets you change the display to suit your needs. Basically, you can choose from three different displays when your gaming, in-office or when executing minor tasks.
It also features the much anticipated Ryzen 7 4000 series processor along with few other spec upgrades when compared to its predecessors. However, is it worth it? Let’s get to it, shall we? Here’s the Xiaomi Redmi Book 16 Review.
Related : Best Xiaomi Laptops
Xiaomi Redmi Book 16 Review 2021
Inside The Box
The Redmibook 16 comes in a brown cardboard box. In fact, the unboxing itself wasn’t as exciting as I hoped as Xiaomi is clearly cutting down costs with respect to packaging. So, you won’t find any illustrations or images on the box itself. Inside the box, you’ll find:
- The Redmibook 16 itself
- A Chinese two-pin adapter with an extra US adapter in case you live in the west.
- A Type-C USB cable.
- And an instruction manual.
Although the packaging itself is pretty shoddy, the padding and the internal protection is spot on. Even the individual components coming to a plastic sleeve to prevent scratches and nicks.
Coming to the design, the Redmibook 16 looks quite premium. It has a nice matte grey finish that not only makes it look high-end but it also feels great to the touch. The design certainly has some similarities to the Macbook but this isn’t surprising considering how Xiaomi competes with Apple with respect to almost everything.
- The overall design is sleek and minimalistic like almost all Xiaomi ecosystem products. On the top portion, you find anything like RGB lights or any gaudy designs. You will, however, find a “Redmi- designed by Xiaomi” Logo on the left-hand side. This not only makes it look clean but it also elevates the already premium look.
- The external housing of the laptop is made from a soft alloy, so, unfortunately, it’s not as sturdy as other laptops in the same price range. Basically, it is quite susceptible to scratches and nicks to you need to be extra careful or you should invest in a laptop sleeve.
- Once you open the laptop. You’re greeted by a brilliant Mac inspired keyboard. The keys are quite spacious and each key delivers great feedback. The sensitivity of the keys is great as well. You can find the power button on the right-hand corner and a singular LED indicator on the caps lock. Unfortunately, the keyboard isn’t backlit which is a bummer.
- The palm rest and the sides of the keyboard are made from a metal which is thankful quite sturdy. The mouse pad is made of a smooth glass-like material which is great to the touch. It’s very sensitive and certainly adds to the beauty of the device. On the right side lower corner you will find AMD Ryzen 7 sticker for authenticity.
- If you turn the laptop to the right, you will find a 2.5 mm headphone jack and a USB 2.0 Port. On the left side, it’s a little more populated. You will find a power port for Type-C cable. This Type-C port has an LED light to indicate the status of the charge. Next to it, you will find an HDMI 2.0 Port, a USB 3.0 Port and another Type-C port.
- Once you flip over the laptop you will find two symmetrical speakers on either side on the laptop, a grille for the air intake and two mics the lower front-facing edge. You, of course, will find rubber feet to prevent the device from slipping.
And finally, the screen is quite brilliant. Not only is it decent display but the limited bezels on the edges actually make it look quite big which is a double whammy especially if you have a 16-inch laptop. It looks great when your gaming as well. Unfortunately, you find a webcam on this model which can be a pro if your into privacy and con if you’re primarily using this device to work.
As mentioned earlier the screen is pretty damn good especially with the thin bezels which essentially help increase the size of the display.
- The display is pretty great with an aspect ratio of 16:10 and 1920 x 1080p resolution. It has a maximum brightness of 250 to 300 nits. Of course, like most modern laptops it also has an anti-glare panel.
- This laptop has a native resolution of Full HD with 100% RGB high-color Gamut. Both of these factors including the anti-glare panel and a 178 viewing angle actually results in an amazing picture/video quality.
- Unlike the majority of the notebooks out there the Redmi Book 16 has a unique display function. You can switch through three digital displays by using the Function key. These three styles are Full speed, Balance, and Quiet. Xiaomi explains that each display is targeted towards gaming, office work and routine tasks. You should, however, expect significant battery drain during the Full Speed Display mode. It’s because of features like this that make this laptop a must-have Xiaomi Product.
Honestly its quite rare to see such varied functionality with respect to the display. Not only is it quite big on its own it also lets you customize it based on your requirements which is pretty cool.
The Xiaomi RedmiBook 16 Ryzen runs Windows 10 and is equipped with an AMD Ryzen 7 – 4700U. This latest Processor from AMD is an octa-core eight-thread processor that can be overclocked at 2.0GHz. It has a maximum dynamic acceleration frequency of 4.1GHz.
- When compared to previous generations this processor helps deliver 25% Picture performance improvement, 60% Multi-core comprehensive performance improvement and 23 % Single-core performance.
- It is also equipped with a 512 GB of SSD and a 16 GB RAM with An AMD Radeon integrated graphics. The performance is faster compared to the previous generation due to its 8nn heat pipe for maximum heat transfer and a large size fan.
However, “Performance is good but can be much much better” is the main takeaway from the various test we put this beast through. Although Xiaomi calls it a beast, it’s been declawed. When compared to similar laptops in this price range, we that this laptop lacked by quite a bit.
This laptop is equipped with a 46Wh Lithium-ion Polymer Battery that promises up to 12 hours of battery life. Although, sceptical at first we actually did this during the battery test. However, the real magic is the fast charging capability that is due to the 65W power adapter. With this power adapter, you can charge up to 50% in under 35 minutes.
Movie aficionados can expect a video playback of up to 8.5 hours and gamers can clock in around 4-5 hours of playtime on this laptop. The loss in juice is primarily due to the SSD and the Ryzen Processor which saps quite a bit when playing heavily spec dependent games.
- It is equipped with a = Ryzen 7 4700U octa-core processor that includes a 7nm process chip with a dominant performance. According to Xiaomi, it’s improved by 60% when compared to the previous generation.
- The RedmiBook 16 has a 30W speaker with ducted sound cavity.
- It has a beautiful 16.1 inch display with 100% RGB high color gmaut and a 90% Ratio IPS Screen with 1920 x 1080 Resolution.
- Equipped with 16GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB SATA Expandable SSD, it can easily handle heavy tasks with seamless performance.
- It is equipped with a 46Wh Battery and Type-C fast charging.
- You get to change the display to suit your circumstances with the Fn+ K Keys. You get Three Smart Switch Modes
What’s in it for you?
If I have to break down the most important features that make this Laptop a must have. Then it would have to be: the display, the processor and the connectivity.
- As mentioned earlier, this laptop comes with three display settings that can be cycled through using the function key. the full speed mode is the best when it comes to executing heavy tasks. Especially since it boosts power by 34%. It’s perfect for tasks like video editing or if you’re watching a really high definition movie or playing a game. The balanced mode on the other hand is best if your working and want to execute certain tasks while saving battery life. The quiet mode is best used when executing an extremely simple task.
- When we come to the processor, it’s definitely one of the best of the best. The Ryzen 7 processor can ramp up not only the overall performance but it also allocates the power as efficiently as possible. It is a 7nm processing chip that increases the processing power by over 60% when compared to its predecessor.
- The connectivity options are surprisingly good. The ports are all type-C, including the charging cable. Even the audio jack is pretty brilliant as it supports custom-built dual speakers with Dolby Audio and AKG.
Xiaomi Redmi Book 16 Review – Final Thoughts
While the Redmibook 16 isn’t as good as most of the laptops in its price range, it’s still worth it. Especially when you compare it to its previous generation. This laptop features a Ryzen 7 4700U octa-core processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD storage. It also has an 8nn heat pipe for maximum heat transfer and a large size fan which elevates the performance.
- You also get a brilliant display with this laptop. The display has an aspect ratio of 16:10 and 1920 x 1080p resolution. It has a maximum brightness of 250 to 300 nits
- The Redmi Book 16 is also equipped with a 46Wh Lithium-ion Polymer Battery that delivers up to 12 hours of battery life. This battery along with the super-fast 65 W charger ensures you can juice this beast up to 50% in under 35 minutes.
- The most unique thing you’ll get with the Redmi Book 16 is the unique display function. You get three diplay functions that you can switch through three digital displays by using the Function key. These three styles are Full speed, Balance, and Quiet which are respectively applicable to gaming, office work and routine tasks.
All in All, it is worth it but there are better laptops out there if your willing to spend more money. However, this laptop can easily handle heavy tasks.
Is the Redmibook 16 worth it?
Yes, the Redmibook 16 is worth it. Especially since it comes with the latest Ryzen processor and has features like switchable digital displays. However, it is also important to note that you will find better laptops if you spend a bit more money. If this is your first laptop in this range, then go for it. Check out our Xiaomi Redmi Book 16 Review for more details.
- These Latest Gadgets from Xiaomi Will Blow Your Mind
- Find Out How The Xiaomi WiFi Repeater Work?
- Check out the Latest and Greatest Xiaomi Smartwatches
Table of Contents