The Performance Beast!
Store Name: Xiaomi Official Store
Store Description: The Official virtual storefront of Xiaomi. The place where you all amazing tech including the Redmi Note 9S.
Price range: US $199.99 - 207.99
Xiaomi has certainly been dominating the mid-range market. The Redmi series of phones are one of the bestsellers globally. Last month Xiaomi launched a new edition to the Redmi Note series: The Redmi Note 9S.
This phone has the features and performance of a mid-range king but with competition from BKK electronics and all its subsidiaries like Oppo, Vivo and Realme, Xiaomi is still holding strong.
Now, check out the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Price and Review to see its worth it. Our simple verdict: Amazing value for money. Here’s why.
Is it the Xiaomi Redmi 9S or Redmi 9 Pro
Xiaomi uses different names for the same product in different places So, the Redmi Note 9S and the Note 9 Pro are the same device.
|Malaysia||Redmi Note 9S|
|India||Redmi Note 9 Pro|
|Global Name (Everywhere else in the world)||Redmi Note 9S|
Redmi Note 9S Review
Inside the box
Inside the box you will find:
- The Redmi Note 9S itself
- An 18W power adapter
- A Soft protective case
- USB Type-C cable
- A SIM ejection tool
- A User Guide and a Warranty card
This phone features Xiaomi’s latest Aura Balance Design and it is splash-proof, protected by P2i to prevent any kind of water damage but it is not waterproof. The back panel is made from Gorilla Glass 5.
- The screen is a 6.67-inch FHD+ LCD display with punch-hole a selfie camera.
- The back panel consists of an extremely shiny surface with a quad-camera setup in the middle.
- The fingerprint reader is located on the power button on the side. Which is definitely a first on the Note series of phones. It does its job of unlocking the phone super fast without any irritating lag.
- The phone is quite big so that’s a good thing but it can also have a disadvantage to people with tiny hands especially since the volume button is place unusually high. You will probably have to use both hands.
- You will also find the combined slots for Dual nano-SIM cards as well as the microSD card.
- At the bottom, you will find the Type-C USB Port and the headphone jack.
This camera is really beautiful compared to all the other phones in the Note series.
The Redmi Note 9S does not have an amazing display like most of its contemporaries.
- In fact, it comes with a huge 6.67-inch FHD+ LCD display. That’s right, it comes with an LCD and not an AMOLED.
- The display is reasonably good, with a 450-nit brightness and a refresh rate of 60Hz.
- While the colors are as vibrant as it would be on an AMOLED screen, the contrast, brightness levels and the low reflectivity on the panels make up for it. So, you can read or view pictures and text even in the sunlight.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Price and Review wouldn’t be with it if we didn’t go into detail regarding the internal features.
Like all Xiaomi smartphones, this one runs on MIUI 11 that’s based on Android 10.
- Although the MIUI is the same, it allows for more customization and functionality compared to the original stock android.
- The MIUI is comparatively heavier than the OG Android but this phone’s performance is out of the charts. You can literally go insane with the customization and it would still perform without lags and then some.
- Some of these features are unimaginable and cannot be found on other devices. For example, you can customize navigation gestures. There is also a brilliant dark mode that comes with this device that makes it look really cool.
- Other than tweaking gestures there features where you can customize themes. This software is really amazing, especially the file manager. I’ve had some pretty shitty experiences with some stock Android file managers. But, this one is really useful.
- The best part is that while the Android updates are slow, the MIUI keeps updating regularly with amazing enhancements and features. Literally the best evolving user experience ever.
- But even the OS has a few irritating problems and the worst is the damn bloatware. The Xiaomi phones come pre-installed with a bunch of third-party apps. And frankly there a nuisance. Some of these can’t be uninstalled and they keep spamming the notification bar. It’s a serious pain.
Tip: When you guys buy this phone, uninstall all third-party apps that you can and fo to the permissions settings and turn off all the permissions for the ones you can. Might take you while. But, although the bloatware is irritating, the user experience will be worth it.
The Redmi Note 9S is a Real Performance Beast
A true performance beast, the Redmi Note 9S comes with an 8nm Snapdragon 720G chipset that performs without the slightest purr, lag or glitches. The RAM options are 4 or 6GB LPDDR4x and a storage of 64GB or 128GB with a UFS2.1 flash storage. And, of course, the amazing graphics are taken care of by the Adreno 618 GPU.
- I’d say go for the 6GB RAM along with the maximum 128GB storage Because with this phone your paying purely for the performance.
- As mentioned earlier, the MIUI is an amazing Skin, But you can chalk up the beast-like performance of this phone to the amazing chipset and the graphics card and the RAM that supports it.
- You can run the heaviest of the heaviest apps and you wouldn’t find a stutter. So, go nuts with a Call of Duty marathon, this phone was lottery built for it with the combination of the battery and the Snapdragon.
A Quad-Camera Set-up
This smartphone comes with a versatile quad-camera setup and including the selfie camera, it has a total of 5. The four cameras on the back are as follows:
- A 48 MP primary camera
- An 8MP ultra-wide-angle camera
- A 5MP macro sensor
- A 2MP depth sensor.
- The camera is not the best nor is it bad, it alright. Like seriously, it’s unbelievably average. The camera can get the job done with the ultra-wide and portrait modes. But you will find grainy images every now and then, especially in low light.
- It does have some good features, for example, a pro mode which shoots detailed photos in the portrait mode, ultra-wide and macro mode. This pro mode is part of the camera app and it also works in video mode. The colors are really good as Xiaomi as incorporated a soft color science and due to a boost in the resolution, you will find that the macro camera is pretty amazing.
- Interestingly enough, the Redmi 9S can record in 4k at 30fps and slow-motion videos at 960fps.
Overall, its a very average camera set-up. It’s not even close to its predecessor which has 64MP and definitely can’t come close to brands like Samsung and OnePlus in the camera department. This a pure performance phone.
Redmi Note 9: Adequate Audio
This smartphone comes with a single (bottom opening) speaker, a 3.5mm headphone jack, 2 microphones (for noise cancellation) and a Smart PA.
- The audio out is pretty decent when you connect a pair of headphones, there no hiss or unusual sounds. The speaker at the bottom, however, is good enough and loud enough with decent mids but lacking when it comes to bass.
- Most flagships these days come with a dual stereo speaker system so it was pretty disappointing to find this phone wasn’t equipped with it.
- When it comes to Bluetooth wireless earbuds and headphones, the phone can output with Qualcomm’s Aptx, AptxHD and LDAC. The Aptx is a high-resolution wireless audio, so it definitely won’t disappoint as long as you have the right wireless headphone.
- It also comes with 2 microphones for noise cancelling. The two microphone active noise canceler uses two microphones and one speaker to feedback the destructive signal for cancelling. So, you can expect some clear audio to be transmitted.
- The Redmi Note 9S has a Smart Pa which amplifies sound significantly and improves playback quality while protecting speakers from damage at high volume levels.
How’s the battery life of the Redmi Note 9S?
The Redmi Note 9S is very unusual when it comes to the battery performance. Don’t get me wrong, the phone has a 5,020mAh cell that is more than enough to last you around 30 hours with heavy use.
- Especially when combined with the 8nm chipset, you can definitely expect some amazing battery life.
- You can play games like call of duty and use heavy applications for hours on end and you’d still be left with at least 40% at the end of the day.
Unfortunately, while the battery is so amazing, the charging speeds suck.
- The Redmi Note 9S only supports a measly 18W. So it’ll literally take you about 2.2 hours to charge the phone from zero and that honestly requires a mind-numbing amount of patience these days.
However there is some good news, Xiaomi will release a version with a faster 33W charger. With which you can expect a faster-charging speed. But, it might only cut it down to 1.4 to 1.5 hours.
For the price, the Redmi Note 9S is definitely worth it. There is true value for money at some level. If you’re expecting an amazing camera and display, you will be disappointed and you’re frankly asking for way too much.
- The Redmi Note 9S has definitely carved its own space in the mid-range market as it offers amazing performance which is rare. Usually, phones have somewhat equal specs but its very rare to find one with a performance and battery that punches way above its weight.
- With this phone your paying for the performance, audio and battery. The OS is amazing with unbelievable customizations.
- The display is adequate and the camera could have been a lot better.
All in all worth the buy, especially for the price and performance.
- Camera can be better
- Display could have been a lot better
This smartphone is priced at around US $199.99
It’s Price at around 199$. The Redmi Note 9S is a Performance beast and definitely worth its price.
Go through the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Price and Review for all the details as to why.
No, it does not. According to the head of Redmi, Xiaomi is not planning on launching 5g phones outside of China, for the time being.