Bought a new Xiaomi TV or a Xiaomi TV Box? Check out our guide on What can Xiaomi TV Do to know more about your new purchases.
While Xiaomi is a giant when it comes to smartphones, it has not seen as much success in other product categories. This includes its TVs and TV Boxes/Sticks. Xiaomi TVs and their related products are popular in Asian countries like China and India but not in Western countries.
Overall, Xiaomi TVs and their Boxes are feature-rich and offer good value for money. But there are still questions over whether Xiaomi offers better than brands like TCL, which have a similar philosophy.
If you are someone who wants to invest in a Xiaomi TV or TV Box, or if you are someone who just bought a new Xiaomi TV, then check this article on What can Xiaomi TV Box vs Chromecast
|Xiaomi TV Box
|Xiaomi, known for consumer electronics and technology products
|Developed by Google, a leading tech company
|Functions as a set-top box, providing access to streaming apps, games, and more
|Functions as a media streaming device for casting content from mobile devices to a TV
|Runs on Android TV OS, offering a user-friendly interface and access to various apps
|Utilizes the Google Cast platform for seamless content casting from compatible devices
|Offers various connectivity options, including HDMI, USB, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi
|Connects to the TV via HDMI and requires a separate device, such as a smartphone or computer, to cast content
|Typically comes with a dedicated remote for navigation and control
|Relies on a separate device, such as a smartphone or computer, for content selection and control
|Positioned as a mid-range, affordable streaming device
|Positioned as an affordable, entry-level streaming solution
|Gaining popularity in various global markets
|Well-established and widely recognized globally
|Widely available through various retailers and online platforms
|Widely available through authorized retailers and online platforms
Related: Can I use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore
What can Xiaomi TV Do
There are multiple products under Xiaomi’s TV business. You can find TVs, TV Boxes, TV Sticks, and more. In this article, I will focus on Xiaomi TVs, TV Boxes, and TV Sticks.
Xiaomi TVs span various price categories from budget to high-end. There are Xiaomi TVs that cater to budget buyers and there are extravagant Transparent Xiaomi TVs as well. But almost all Xiaomi TVs are aimed at providing the best picture quality at the price along with smart features.
Xiaomi TVs have display technologies ranging from LCD to OLED to Transparent screens. Xiaomi even has projectors, though they don’t come under TVs. While Xiaomi doesn’t make TV displays of its own, it sources them from industry leaders like LG, which are exceptional.
Xiaomi TVs also have excellent speakers compared to their competition, so from a hardware point of view, Xiaomi TVs are pretty good. Both picture and sound quality are excellent for the price, so what do you get in terms of software?
All Xiaomi TVs are Smart TVs and run on PatchWall OS which is based on Android TV OS. With Xiaomi TVs, you can download apps, stream content and even play games on them. You also get smart features like Google Assistant, Chromecast, and more.
This is what makes Xiaomi TVs special, their Smart TV experience. Patchwall OS is great at curating content while being easy to use as well. The performance of Xiaomi TVs has always been lag-free and smooth. And accessing all the features is a breeze.
Overall, the software and hardware of Xiaomi TVs come together to make it a good TV watching experience. But what about additional features?
Xiaomi TVs are some of the most feature-rich TVs you can find at a certain price point. Xiaomi TVs come with HDR, 4K, Dolby Atmos, Doly Digital, THX, and more. All Xiaomi TVs support all the major video and audio formats.
Xiaomi TVs also have the latest Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity standards, giving you excellent compatibility. And finally, Xiaomi TV comes with the latest Android OS along with a Smart Remote that lets you voice-control your TV.
Xiaomi TV Boxes and TV Sticks
|Xiaomi TV Box
|Xiaomi TV Stick 4K
|Xiaomi Mi TV Stick
|Cortex-A53 Quad-core 64bit
|Android TV™ 11
|4K@60fps, VP9, H.264, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1, Real8/9/10
|AV1, VP9, H.265, H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-1
|VP9-10, H.265, H.264, VC-1, MPEG1/2/4, Real8/9/10
|RM, MOV, VOB, AVI, MKV, TS, Mp4, 3D
|MKV, MPG, MPEG, DAT, AVI, MOV, ISO, MP4, RM
|RM, MOV, VOB, AVI, MKV, TS, MP4
|DTS HD, Dolby Atmos
|MP3, APE, Flac
|MP3, AAC, RM, FLAC
|MP3, AAC, FLAC, OGG
|JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIF
|JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG
|JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG
|In the Box
|Xiaomi TV Stick
HDMI Extender cable
|Mi TV Stick
Xiaomi TV Box and Xiaomi TV Sticks are devices that turn a normal TV into a smart TV. They are streaming devices built for TVs. They are basically small consoles that run Android and provide users with the functionality to run streaming apps and games.
With the Xiaomi TV Box or Stick, you can run OTT apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and more. You can even run light games on them. Android TV OS now supports over 5000+ apps and games, the Xiaomi TV stick makes sure you can run them all on any screen with an HDMI port.
Both devices come with the device itself and a remote. Thie remotes are smart and feature a mic that lets you use Google Assistant and voice commands. This makes using the Xiaomi TV Box and Stick a joy on any older TVs with no smart capabilities.
So, the Xiaomi TV Box and Stick are devices that enhances your TV experience to the next level if your TV is limited in terms of smart capabilities.
Xiaomi TV Box Features
- The Mi TV Box is easy to use and intuitive.
- It’s also enabled with Google Assistant. It uses voice to help you find the program you want. You can also use voice commands to do a Google search. With this feature, you can not only search for your favorite shows but also search for photos, check the weather, and even set an alarm.
- Being an Android TV, you can access the Play Store and install apps directly to the device.
- The 8GB of Internal memory will enable the installation of quite a few apps.
- Looking at the 2GB RAM, it can’t handle intense gaming. However, if you want to, then you’ll need to connect a Bluetooth keyboard or Gamepad to the game on it.
- The Mi Box S supports Dolby Audio quality and it also renders videos in 4K Ultra HD for TVs or monitors that support 4K HD.
- You get Chromecast with the Mi Box S.
- The Netflix button is a welcome feature as it instantly launches Netflix and you can log in and start watching your favorite movies.
- The USB port on the rear side is a welcome add-on as you can connect your external hard drive or a flash drive and play your movies and other content. Use the USB port to also connect your game controllers and other accessories.
- As mentioned earlier, the Xiaomi Mi Box S has an inbuilt Chromecast with which you can mirror your phone or laptop onto the screen.
- The image clarity is sharp, though it also depends on your TV’s quality.
- The volume button on the remote is a useful feature. Unlike Apple TV Box remotes, you only need to handle one remote here for all your needs.
Xiaomi TV Stick Features
- Full HD streaming of content to any device that can support HDMI.
- Android TV OS with support for more than 5000+ apps and games.
- Google Assistant support with a microphone on the remote for voice search and commands.
- Dolby Audio and DTS 2.0 Audio support for enhanced sound quality.
- Built-in Chromecast for streaming straight from a smartphone.
- Data saver option to save data if using mobile hotspot.
- The Xiaomi TV Stick features both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi to prioritize over range and speed when needed for the smoothest connectivity at all times.
- Hotkeys on the TV remote for Netflix and Amazon Prime allow for instant opening and switching between them.
- Features on the audio front like Dolby and DTS 2.0 audio worked like a charm when connected with supported Bluetooth speakers.
- The Xiaomi Mi Stick also features HDMI CEC, this also you to control both the TV and the Stick with the included remote.
How to set up and Use the Xiaomi TV Stick Mi Box S
First, make sure there’s power flowing through the Mi Box. Just plug the power cable into the relevant port.
Step 1 Now, all you have to do is connect the Mi Box S to your TV using the HDMI cable.
Step 2 Once, this is done. You have to add the batteries to the remote.
Step 3 Now, you start scrolling away.
Step 4 The Mi User Interface will take you through some setup procedures so make sure you’re connected to the internet.
Step 5 Once this is done, the setup is basically complete. Just update your firmware if necessary and start streaming.
The setup should also take you about 6 to 7 minutes to fully set up.
How to set up and Use the Xiaomi TV Stick
The Xiaomi TV Stick is basically a plug-and-play device, which makes it extremely easy to use. Just follow these steps:
Step 1 Plug the Xiaomi TV Stick into any of the HDMI ports on your TV. This means that you will need to power the Xiaomi Mi Stick separately as HDMI doesn’t offer power delivery. For this, you can use the included USB cable and power adapter and power the Xiaomi Mi Stick from the wall. You can also connect the USB cable directly to a USB port if your TV has any.
Step 2 Now switch your TV’s input to the HDMI port Xiaomi TV Stick is connected to.
Step 3 Use the included remote and follow the on-screen instructions to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Step 4 Then finally, you have to sign in to a google account and you are ready to go.
Once you have set up, you can start downloading and streaming from your favorite streaming apps, play games, or use the supported apps on your TV. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube are all pre-installed giving you a head start.
You can also use the Xiaomi Mi Stick on old CRT TVs if you can find the right adapter to convert the analog signal from the TV to HDMI featured on Xiaomi TV Stick. And the remaining setup process is the same.
So there you have it, all the detail on what can Xiaomi TV do. Xiaomi TVs and Xiaomi TV Boxes are excellent products for home entertainment. I hope our guide provided you with all the details.
Table of Contents