Conscious about your body weight and health? Check out our How Xiaomi Scale Works to track your weight and 10 other vital body metrics.
As much as being fit is a personal choice, health is absolutely important. Now, I’m not a fitness freak myself, but I monitor certain changes in my daily life so my lifestyle doesn’t take a toll on my mind and body.
So what do I monitor, you may ask? Along with improving my fitness, I monitor the various changes my body is going through. How do I do it? I use the Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2.
Xiaomi, as a company has carved a niche in the fitness space and this legendary product is the company’s poster child when it comes to fitness. The Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2 is an affordable and feature-packed product that does more than read your weight.
This great-looking scale can read up to 13 precise data points not limited to weight, body fat percentage, bone mass, muscle mass, and much more. Although these are estimates, it is much more precise than other scales.
It’s features like this that make this latest gadget from Xiaomi a must-buy product. Let’s find out how this device works, shall we? Here’s How Xiaomi Scale Works.
After having gone through Xiaomi’s official documents and talking to various sources; my team and I found that:
The Xiaomi scale works based on bio-impedance technology. It essentially analyzes various body parameters such as fat, muscle, bone, and much more with electric signals. When the user stands on the scale an electric signal is transmitted from one leg and it completes a circuit before going back into the scale from the other leg. This circuit gives accurate data that is based on the time taken for the charge to complete a circuit.
What is Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale
The Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2 is a weighing scale for humans that can do more than just calculate the weight of its user. The Mi Body Composition Scale can read body fat, bone mass, weight, and more.
This is easily one of the best smart weighing scales you can get right now. It is fairly accurate and has tons of features that can help you lead a better lifestyle. Check out how Xiaomi scale works in our Xiaomi Body Composition scale 2 Review.
How Xiaomi Scale Works
First things first, the Mi body composition Scale 2 looks great. It has the trademark minimalistic Xiaomi design and fits well in any modern home. An added plus is the tempered glass which is easy to clean and maintain. The anti-slip finish feels soft under your feet and you will like the experience.
- At only 20mm in thickness, the Xiaomi scale is really slim and svelte. This smart body scale has adopted the advanced BIA technology and stainless steel electrode which measures body mass quickly and accurately.
- The Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2 can measure up to 13 types of data. It includes bodyweight, bone mass, visceral fat level, muscle mass, fat rate, body water, basic metabolism, etc.
- The Xiaomi scale estimates your body metrics by using a bio-impedance analysis. The device sends small electrical signals to your feet and estimates your body stats.
Your body’s composition of fat, muscle, and bone is analyzed according to the time taken to complete a circuit. The data is displayed on a simple interface and is pretty clear. The smart body scale is compact and stylish making it a must-own accessory to measure your stats conveniently.
Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2 Review – Specifications
- Dimensions: 300mm x 300mm x 20mm
- Weight: 1.6kg
- Material: ABS
- Weight Range: 5kg – 150kg
- Units: Catties, Kilograms, Pounds (switchable)
- Reading Precision: 50g
- Compatibility Bluetooth: 4.0
- Operating Temperature: 0-40℃
- Power: 4x AAA batteries
- Metrics: 10 body metrics
- Devices Supported: Android and iOS
- App Compatibility: Android 4.4 and above, as well as iOS 8.0 and above.
Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2 Highlights
Intelligent Data Tracker – The Mi Body Composition Scale 2 can automatically identify family members based on their body data and can support up to 16 unique profiles.
Durable Build – The Mi Body Composition Scale 2 has reinforced tempered glass housing that can withstand pressure up to 400lbs. The scale is built to last and the material does not retain fingerprints or footprints.
Compatible with Smartphones – Biometrics and health data can be tracked and recorded on any smartphone running Android or iOS and the scale 2 can be paired via Bluetooth 5.0.
Xiaomi Scale 2 – Set up
- Setting up the Xiaomi scale is fairly simple. All you need to do it flip the scale to find the battery compartment and insert 4 x AAA sized batteries for power.
- The LED display is hidden and you can’t notice anything until you start using it. When you stand on the device is when you see the numbers in white which adds to the modern design of the Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2.
You can pair the scale with the Mi Fit app and it is lighting fast. The maximum time is 30 seconds but it is much faster than that. Pretty neat. The actual device only shows your weight but you need to pair it with the app to view all other stats.
- Once, you’ve paired the Xiaomi Scale to your phone through the Mi fit app. You need to calibrate it. Although you get all the data the first time you stand on it after you set it up. It might not necessarily be accurate. So, you’ll need to calibrate multiple times till the error is negligible.
- While this process is irritating, you’re better off doing it as all future values will be dependent on this first time.
Build and Design
The Mi body composition scale 2 is extremely similar to your average bathroom scale in size. However, it is vastly different in terms of design and aesthetics. Xiaomi has maintained the same futuristic and minimal design scheme with this scale as the rest of Its products.
- The scale has a square shape design with rounded-off edges. It also has lines of white glass running across the device. It is also equipped with metal pads that connect to the Bio-Impedance processor. These circular pads are actually visible on the surface of the Mi Scale. These pads are in fact metallic electrodes that send and receive electric signals. You can also find a Mi logo on the central portion of the scale.
- Although the scale looks fragile, it’s actually quite sturdy. It is made out of an extremely durable matte polycarbonate material. So, it can easily take weight up to 250 pounds without any issues. Of course, you can’t throw it from the first floor and expect it to not break. At the base of the scale, you will find anti-slip feet.
- While this scale has an extremely beautiful and minimalistic design, it does tend to get dirty easily. Of course, this is highly dependent on your feet’ hygiene and the way you take care of the scale.
It also has a display that’s hidden underneath the glass surface that won’t appear till you interact with the scale. Once you stand on it, you can see large white characters pop up on the surface of the scale.
Mi Body Composition Scale 2 – App & Functions
You need to input data like your weight, gender, height, and age on the Mi Fit app.
- The Xiaomi scale syncs the data recorded to the Mi Fit app. The reading is then used to calculate the other metrics that include BMI, body water, metabolic rate, etc.
- I would’ve loved the product more if stats like body fat percentage could be shown on the device itself than having to whip out my mobile phone every time. It certainly is one of the Top Xiaomi Home Appliances of 2022.
I have listed out what the smart Xiaomi scale measure and do below:
- Basal Metabolic Rate
- Body Fat Percentage
- Bone Mass
- Water percentage in the body
- Muscle Mass
- Physical Age of body
- The protein level in the body
- Visceral Fat
- Balance test
- Suggest ideal weight
- Prepare a body score
Based on all of the above measurements the smart scale assesses your body size type. In addition to the above stats, the Xiaomi scale prepares a body score that is easily trackable.
Mi Smart Scale 2 – Performance
If you are on the lookout for a smart scale, the Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2 is great value for money. It is a great addition to measure the extra data points apart from weight to gauge your overall progress. When it comes to the performance all I can say is that it’s decent. While real-time performance is a little finicky, the long-term performance is surprisingly good.
- When it comes to real-time performance, it is decent. However, it does have its share of problems. For example, while you can expect the scale to sync with the Mi Fit App and get data regarding various physical and health parameters, it is, unfortunately, has a few problems. It more often than not calculates an incorrect weight. And the most irritating bit is that this error margin isn’t too massive. So, at the end of the day, you still are more or less in the vicinity of your true weight.
- After multiple trials and errors, I figured out that you can get accurate data when you’re initially calibrating it. But it works for every subsequent measurement as well. All you have to do is tap the surface of the scale with your foot to turn it on and make sure your foot weight to zero a few times before you put your entire body weight on it.
- The material used on the top of the device is tempered glass with an anti-slip finish that feels comfortable and soft under your feet. An added bonus is that the tempered glass is easy to clean so your scale looks as good as new.
My only qualm with the Xiaomi scale is that it only shows my weight and for all other data, I have to rely on the app. Overall it is a decent scale with a bright display.
Body composition analysis – Accuracy
The accuracy is decent but it’s not the best. This Xiaomi Mi body composition scale 2 has a G-shaped steel sensor that is considered to be one of the best as it senses a weight change of even 50g. This gives you a decent approximation of your body stats. Of course, this decent is very subjective. To people who are expecting accuracy with numbers down to the decimal points, then you’re seriously better off investing in a different device.
This Mi scale 2 has an error margin of 5Kg. The craziest thing is that Xiaomi has put out a disclaimer on the packaging stating that some readings might have errors. I honestly didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. However, this issue doesn’t mean that it isn’t useful.
The inaccuracy stems from the initial readings. This device uses bio-impedance to send an electrical signal from one leg of your body in a circuit and captures it from the other leg. While this does give relevant data points, it isn’t a highly accurate technology. Furthermore, the Mi scale 2 depends on the data points entered into the Mi Fit app for these numbers.
So, there is bound to be some level of error. However, what is amazing is that the error margin between the old readings and new readings is significantly lower. So, you should ideally spend some time calibrating the device. However, it is important to note that these values must be thought of as an estimate and not absolute.
Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2 – Key Features
- The Xiaomi scale is a smart tool to monitor your progress if you are trying to lose body fat. The Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2 can measure up to 13 body stats and that is excellent for the price you pay for the scale.
- With access to your body stats like weight, bone mass, visceral fat level, muscle mass, fat rate, body water, basic metabolism, etc you are always aware of your health index.
- The material used is durable and easy to clean.
- At only 20mm in thickness, the Mi scale 2 is really slim and svelte. The weight is displayed is bold and white making it easier to read.
- The Xiaomi scale prepares a body score that is easily trackable. The minimum weight it can measure is 100gms and it can be used to weigh your intake of protein and carbohydrates.
- The balance test on the device helps you reduce the risk of joint injuries. The Xiaomi smart scale is accurate to a change of 50gm in your body weight and that is unmatched by other scales in the market.
- The scale features a sleek, minimalistic design
- The app is intuitive and useful
- Tons of details and body metrics
- Different metrics for different regions
- The scale is easy to set up and use
- Battery-powered making it inconvenient
- Bluetooth only and no Wi-Fi
- Only displays weight on the scale itself
- Readings are not the most accurate
Xiaomi Scale 2 Accuracy
The scale is smart and there is no doubt about it. The ability to have your body stats recorded so easily is what makes the Xiaomi scale so amazing.
- The Xiaomi smart scale only weighs 1.7kgs in case you need to travel with it. The product looks and feels great and the price point is definitely a bonus. The scale is compatible with the Mi app on both iOS and Android platforms.
- I would recommend the Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2 to anyone looking for a smart scale. The fact that it is Bluetooth 5 compatible means it won’t drain the batteries easily.
- The minimum weight the scale measures is 100gm so you can use it to measure parcels, fruits, and vegetables if required. The Xiaomi scale is accurate to a change of 50gm in your body weight and that is really impressive.
- Even though the Xiaomi smart scale is not 100% accurate in all data aspects, you will surely benefit from monitoring your daily or weekly progress. The display is hidden and the white numbers surely add to the modern design of the scale.
- The Mi Body Composition Scale 2 weight measurement is 100% accurate. The Fat measurement on the Xiaomi body composition scale is not at all accurate. It’s not possible to showcase the fat percentage by just measuring the weight of the user. An actual fat measurement device requires your body to be plugged into multiple touchpoints like in professional gyms.
As I have not had my body fat measured in a professional setup, I might not be able to point out how accurate the scale is. But, having used the Xiaomi scale for a month now, I can vouch for how it has motivated me to stay fit and push my boundaries to reach my personal goal in terms of weight.
Should you buy the Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale?
The Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale is a great investment for anyone who wants a smart scale that can do more than just weigh you. The Scale is pretty accurate from our testing and all the data it provides is insightful when it comes to health monitoring.
Everything from the design, build quality, and features scream high-end, while the price shouts the opposite. Even without the smart features, the Xiaomi Mi Body Scale is great just as a minimalistic weighing scale. Overall, it is an excellent product for the price, and nothing comes close.
Mi Composition Scale Alternatives
The Garmin Index S2 might be a decent option if the Xiaomi Mi is not for you. This Bluetooth and WiFi-equipped smart scale is remarkable. If you already own a Garmin watch or other device, you can sync your activity data with measurements of your body composition to get a better sense of how you’re doing. It’s pricey ($149.99 / £129.99), so if you don’t intend to use the app’s extra functions, you might be better off choosing a less costly smart scale like the Withings Body below.
The Withings Body BMI Wi-Fi Scale ($59 / £59.95), the most entry-level smart scale from Withings, is an excellent option for anyone wishing to track weight and BMI. With the Health Mate app, which can also collect metrics from other Withings devices and health and fitness apps, such as Apple Health, your stats will wirelessly sync. This is an accurate smart scale at a reasonable cost; but, it does not display information on muscle mass, body fat, or other specific parameters.
Withings vs Xiaomi Scale
Overall, we need these scales in our life for us to track our past records and continue to be fit by measuring on our scale. I’ve included some information regarding the Withings scale and the Xiaomi scale, as well as the differences between the two.
Which is Accurate?
Xiaomi’s bodyweight assessment of body composition is honest and reliable. This Xiaomi fat percentage weight fat estimation is far from precise. By evaluating the person’s body weight, the Proportion of calories cannot be displayed.
According to Withings, up to 8 individuals can measure themselves and record their pasts, with the scale detecting whose user is stepping on the gadget automatically. It also has maternity tracking, which allows pregnant mothers to observe weight and get guidance from an ob-gyn.
The equipment also has a child setting that can be used to keep a record of a child’s safety. In addition to any of these functions, the Withings Body Scale makes it easy to set fitness expectations and implement track of how much energy they absorb each day.
Xiaomi Scale FAQs
How Accurate is Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2
The Xiaomi scale estimates your body metrics by using a bio-impedance analysis. The device sends small electrical signals to your feet and estimates your body stats. Your body’s composition of fat, muscle, and bone is analyzed according to the time taken to complete a circuit. And unfortunately, while this sounds amazing, the accuracy isn’t super great.
Honestly, it would be impossible to measure most of these metrics without some form of invasive procedure. However, it’s not like it’s completely inaccurate either. You can be assured that this Xiaomi Scale 2 can analyze and depict data that is in the vicinity of the actual thing.
It is important to note that you should use this device as a guide rather than a medical instrument. After all, there aren’t many smart scales out there that can do half the things this device is capable of. Check out our “How Xiaomi Scale Works” for all the details.
Does the Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2 come with batteries?
Yes, the Xiaomi scale comes with 4 x AAA size batteries. The scale is Bluetooth 5 compatible and won’t drain the batteries easily. Check out our “How Xiaomi Scale Works” for all the details.
What data does the scale display?
The Xiaomi scale can only display your weight data on the device. However, the device can measure up to 13 types of data.
What types of stats can the scale measure? How do I access it?
The Xiaomi scale can measure body stats that includes bodyweight, bone mass, visceral fat level, muscle mass, fat rate, body water, basic metabolism, etc. You can access all of the data on the Mi Fit app. Check out our “How Xiaomi Scale Works” for all the details.
How does the Xiaomi scale measure body fat?
The scale uses a technique called bio-impedance analysis to measure the fat in your body. A weak electric current is passed through your body from the scale. The scale then determines the amount of resistance to the flow of current by the body. This provides an estimate of the amount of water in the body through which the body fat is calculated.
How do I calibrate my Xiaomi scale?
There is a disclaimer that comes with the scale that says the first 3 to 4 readings are usually wrong. When you step on the scale for the first few times, it is normal to expect a reading that is off from your actual weight. To calibrate the scale for accurate weight measurement, simply take multiple readings. The scale calibrates on its own.
What type of stats does the Xiaomi scale measure?
In addition to your weight, the Xiaomi scale can measure your body fat, BMI, water content, bone mass, visceral fat, and muscle mass. All of the data is sent to the Mi Fit app on your phone which also provides the ratio between your body fat and muscle mass, determining your body type.
How does mi scale measure body score?
The Mi Body Composition Scale uses Bioelectitc Impedance Analysis to calculate weight, muscle mass, BMI, bone mass, body fat, visceral fat, metabolism, and water. Using all this data, the Mi Health app calculates a body score. You can use this score to improve your lifestyle.
This scale and it’s Mi fit app is really good for people that are looking to track their weight loss and learn about self physical health information like BMI (although I’m not sure how it tracks data beyond weight or if it’s accurate). However, there are a couple of issues upon using it:
Pretty often when stepping on the scale it often registers the incorrect scale (usually always adds 3 to 3.9 lbs.) and requires to be stepped on multiple times to zero it out to get the correct weight.
With these kinds of scales, I’d expect it to work at least most of the time. I’d recommend taping on it with your foot to let it turn on and zero out every time before putting your full body weight on it to get accurate data.
Also, the app doesn’t always connect and sync properly. You’re supposed to have the app open and then it will auto-detect when you step on the scale to record the weight. This doesn’t always work so again you must step on it multiple times not just to get the correct data, but to also make sure it connects as well. The good part is that it can always be put in manually which is completely fine by me, but for those who care about this, this is definitely something to note.
Overall it’s a decent scale with easy to read and bright numbers.Brian David Gonzalez from USA
I own Amazfit Stratos 3 watch so I use Amazfit app. I bought this scale which also syncs with the app. Now I have all data in one place.
The great thing about this scale and watch is that both give recommendations based on your measurements. Not just a scorer. They actually tell you what to do to
TWO IMPORTANT OBSERVATIONS:
1. It is pretty consistent in all measurements when you do day after day.
2. I am not sure if that consistency is a good thing or bad thing. Meaning I have been significantly improving my water intake muscle gaining exercises but within a month there hasn’t been any shift. Including visceral fat after a month of exercises has not dropped by a single point.
I will continue testing it for another month if the results don’t improve then the measurements are out of wack.D.A. from USA
Great easy-to-use product. The only negative point is that the connection with other devices of the same brand ( smart watch ) is not very consistent. At some times it is necessary to restart more than once for the collection of information.
Veronica Snaccache Baker from USA
- Withings vs Xiaomi Scale
- Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2 Price and Review in India
- Mi Body Composition Scale 2 Review
Say Yes to Xiaomi! I am one of the BIG FAN to Xiaomi Products. I can’t resist the things they created or partner within their ecosystem. So my advice to you is “JUST BUY LAH”!
Xiaomi Body Composition Scale 2
Here's How Xiaomi Scale Works!
Product SKU: K019921
Product Brand: Xiaomi
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 100
Price Valid Until: 2021-07-31
Product In-Stock: InStock
Table of Contents