Looking to buy a Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore? Check out our guide on Can I use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore for all the details.
If you are someone with an old LCD TV or old Smart TV, then you should invest in an Android TV Box or Stick to improve your TV experience. A smart TV Box or Stick is a device that transforms any ordinary TV with an HDMI port into a Smart TV.
However, if you are in Singapore, you might have heard that TV boxes are illegal. While this is partly true, not all TV boxes are illegal. So check out our guide on Can I use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore to know more.
Spoiler alert, yes you can use Xiaomi TV Box and Xiaomi TV Sticks in Singapore. But read on to know more about the situation.
Related: How does the Xiaomi TV Stick Work
Can I use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore
What is the Xiaomi TV Box
Xiaomi TV Box and Xiaomi TV Sticks are devices that turn a normal TV into a smart TV. They are streaming devices built for TVs. They are basically small consoles that run Android and provide users with the functionality to run streaming apps and games.
With the Xiaomi TV Box or Stick, you can run OTT apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and more. You can even run light games on them. Android TV OS now supports over 5000+ apps and games, the Xiaomi TV stick makes sure you can run them all on any screen with an HDMI port.
Both devices come with the device itself and a remote. Thie remotes are smart and feature a mic that lets you use Google Assistant and voice commands. This makes using the Xiaomi TV Box and Stick a joy on any older TVs with no smart capabilities.
So, the Xiaomi TV Box and Stick are devices that enhances your TV experience to the next level if your TV is limited in terms of smart capabilities.
Can I use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore?
So the Xiaomi TV Box and Sticks are cool products but can you use them in Singapore without getting into trouble? Are they legal in Singapore? The answer is Yes. All Xiaomi TV Boxes and Xiaomi TV Sticks are legal and can be used in Singapore.
The only TV Boxes that are illegal in Singapore are the ones that come with channels with pirated content. Those are usually no-name brand TV Boxes. These TV/ Settop Boxes are getting outlawed by the Singapore government.
Xiaomi TV Boxes and TV Sticks don’t feature any channels that stream pirated content and so they are legal and can be used in Singapore. Also note that, if you own an illegal TV Box, you won’t get in trouble, the people selling it are the ones that will get in trouble.
Now that you know that you can use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore, check out how to use it and all the features of the Xiaomi TV Box and Stick.
How to set up and Use the Xiaomi TV Stick Mi Box S
First, make sure there’s power flowing through the Mi Box. Just plug the power cable into the relevant port.
Step 1 Now, all you have to do is connect the Mi Box S to your TV using the HDMI cable.
Step 2 Once, this is done. You have to add the batteries to the remote.
Step 3 Now, you start scrolling away.
Step 4 The Mi User Interface will take you through some setup procedures so make sure you’re connected to the internet.
Step 5 Once this is done, the setup is basically complete. Just update your firmware if necessary and start streaming.
The setup should also take you about 6 to 7 minutes to fully set up.
How to set up and Use the Xiaomi TV Stick
The Xiaomi TV Stick is basically a plug-and-play device, which makes it extremely easy to use. Just follow these steps:
Step 1 Plug the Xiaomi TV Stick into any of the HDMI ports on your TV. This means that you will need to power the Xiaomi Mi Stick separately as HDMI doesn’t offer power delivery. For this, you can use the included USB cable and power adapter and power the Xiaomi Mi Stick from the wall. You can also connect the USB cable directly to a USB port if your TV has any.
Step 2 Now switch your TV’s input to the HDMI port Xiaomi TV Stick is connected to.
Step 3 Use the included remote and follow the on-screen instructions to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Step 4 Then finally, you have to sign in to a google account and you are ready to go.
Once you have set up, you can start downloading and streaming from your favorite streaming apps, play games, or use the supported apps on your TV. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube are all pre-installed giving you a head start.
You can also use the Xiaomi Mi Stick on old CRT TVs if you can find the right adapter to convert the analog signal from the TV to HDMI featured on Xiaomi TV Stick. And the remaining setup process is the same.
- The Mi TV Box is easy to use and intuitive.
- It’s also enabled with Google Assistant. It uses voice to help you find the program you want. You can also use voice commands to do a Google search. With this feature, you can not only search for your favorite shows but also search for photos, check the weather, and even set an alarm.
- Being an Android TV, you can access the Play Store and install apps directly to the device.
- The 8GB of Internal memory will enable the installation of quite a few apps.
- Looking at the 2GB RAM, it can’t handle intense gaming. However, if you want to, then you’ll need to connect a Bluetooth keyboard or Gamepad to the game on it.
- The Mi Box S supports Dolby Audio quality and it also renders videos in 4K Ultra HD for TVs or monitors that support 4K HD.
- You get Chromecast with the Mi Box S.
- The Netflix button is a welcome feature as it instantly launches Netflix and you can log in and start watching your favorite movies.
- The USB port on the rear side is a welcome add-on as you can connect your external hard drive or a flash drive and play your movies and other content. Use the USB port to also connect your game controllers and other accessories.
- As mentioned earlier, the Xiaomi Mi Box S has an inbuilt Chromecast with which you can mirror your phone or laptop onto the screen.
- The image clarity is sharp, though it also depends on your TV’s quality.
- The volume button on the remote is a useful feature. Unlike Apple TV Box remotes, you only need to handle one remote here for all your needs.
- Full HD streaming of content to any device that can support HDMI.
- Android TV OS with support for more than 5000+ apps and games.
- Google Assistant support with a microphone on the remote for voice search and commands.
- Dolby Audio and DTS 2.0 Audio support for enhanced sound quality.
- Built-in Chromecast for streaming straight from a smartphone.
- Data saver option to save data if using mobile hotspot.
- The Xiaomi TV Stick features both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi to prioritize over range and speed when needed for the smoothest connectivity at all times.
- Hotkeys on the TV remote for Netflix and Amazon Prime allow for instant opening and switching between them.
- Features on the audio front like Dolby and DTS 2.0 audio worked like a charm when connected with supported Bluetooth speakers.
- The Xiaomi Mi Stick also features HDMI CEC, this also you to control both the TV and the Stick with the included remote.
So there you have it, the answer to Can I use Xiaomi TV Box in Singapore. I have also included info on how to use Xiaomi TV Box and Stick. Hope this guide helped you out.
Table of Contents