The Smart Doorbell from Xiaomi
Store Name: Xiaomi Smart Home Store
Store Description: The Mi Home Store has the best collection of Xiaomi Mi Home products!
Price range: $10 - $30
Xiaomi Smart Doorbell
The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell, Rated!
User Review( vote)
After the Ring Doorbell appeared on popular reality TV show Shark Tank, smart doorbell camera sales have gone through the roof. They have become synonymous with house safety and security. Interestingly, Xiaomi ventured into this space with its own version of the Smart Doorbell and it’s filled with absolutely brilliant features. Check out our Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review for all the details.
Smart Doorbells are a must these days. Unfortunately, there are numerous unreliable no-name brands out there that make smart doorbells. So it’s important we rely on devices we trust. After all, this is a matter of home security. And after a thorough review, we’ve determined the Xiaomi smart doorbell is definitely a top-notch device. Not only does it come with unique proprietary technology to make your home safe but it’s also extremely affordable.
Let’s move on, and check out the Zero AI Smart Doorbell Camera from Xiaomi, shall we?
Here’s the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review:
- Xiaomi Smart Doorbell Review
- In the Box
- Function and Use
- Key Features
- Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review – Final Thoughts
Xiaomi Smart Doorbell Review
In the Box
The packaging of the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell is similar to most of Xiaomi’s Products. It’s a white cardboard box with the image of the device. However, Inside the box, you get something interesting – You get a handwritten letter from the CEO. Other than that you get:
- The smart doorbell
- The Speaker/Receiver
- 4 AA Batteries
- Screws and a screwdriver.
Like most Xiaomi Products the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell camera is made with beautiful workmanship, Its white and clean with a minimalist design. The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell has a Doorbell and a Reciever.
- The smart doorbell measures at 111mm in height, 61mm in width and 23mm in breadth. If you look at the measurements, it’s actually quite tiny. The receiver is even more compact measuring at 74 x 74 mm.
- The battery compartment which you’ll find at the back takes up the majority of the bell’s internal space. In the front portion of the device has a camera and a bell button. The front-top portion consists of a camera, a microphone and a motion sensor. You will also find a built-in speaker on the underside for two-way communication.
- Also, underneath the cover on the back, you’ll find a reset button.
- The receiver is also completely white and has a beautiful smooth surface. It also has a built-in speaker and microphone for two-way communication. It has three button’s that you can use to operate the various features. And interestingly, it sits in a power socket. So you will need an adapter as the receiver has a Chinese Plug.
Individually, both the speaker and the receiver look good. Because of the minimalistic and white design, they go with pretty much any house. The only thing you need to be concerned about is the Speaker. Since its quite small, you will have to place it in a clearly visible space in front of your house. This is to prevent people from easily missing it.
|Size||111 x 61 x 23|
|Connectivity||2.5 GHz WiFi|
|Camera Lens Angle||105 degrees|
|Resolution||720 x 1280p Video|
|IR Light||4pcs 850nm|
|Working Temperature||0 – 45 Deg.C|
|OS||Android 4.4 or iOS 9.0 or above version|
|Power Supply||Powered by 4 AA batteries|
|Unique Features||Intercom |
|Size||74 x 74 x 34 mm|
|Connection||WiFi, 433MHz RF|
|Power Supply||100 – 240V, 50 / 60Hz|
|Transmission Distance||50 Metres|
Function and Use
Firstly, setting up the camera is pretty straight forward. You need to install the batteries at the back.
- Then you can connect directly with the Mijia App. All you need to do is press the reset button on the smart doorbell and then scan the QR code displayed on your smartphone with the doorbell’s camera to authenticate it. The doorbell then syncs with your Wifi network to have a seamless connection.
- Another part of the installation is to add the screw provided in the box to the side of the doorbell. You immediately get notified with an alarm when somebody tries to remove it. The doorbell comes with 3M double-sided tape at the back. This is one of the ways to install the doorbell without having to use the screws.
- Be sure to keep it away from the water as this device isn’t waterproof. Which is weird considering it’s usually attached outside. So basically, if you live on a farm, it won’t be able to weather a storm. However, you are in luck in you live in an Apartment.
- After the setup, the doorbell will be added to your devices list in the Mijia App. You can use the app to look through the camera’s lens and you can also use it to change the settings if required.
- As mentioned earlier, this doorbell does come with an external speaker and if you need to hear the doorbell ring, you will need to install the external speaker. You can pair the camera unit to up to 4 of these external speakers with a distance of 50 metres.
- Honestly, you don’t absolutely have to connect it to an external speaker. You can directly sync it to your phone and it will send you notifications whenever there’s somebody at the door. Of Course, you can also control the various features directly through the App. So, it’s actually, super easy from a user’s perspective. For example, you can simply talk into your phone to communicate with the person who rang the doorbell instead of walking up to the speaker unit.
If you don’t want to use the speaker, there is an ingenious way that notifies there is someone at the door. When a person rings the doorbell you get a notification on your phone intimating you that there is someone at the door. You can click on the ‘View’ button and see real-time who is standing there.
How does it work?
Using the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell is fairly simple. When somebody rings the bell, it rings. The receiver in the house will also ring. It will work up to a range of 50 meters without the App. But it is a Smart Doorbell, so the following features is where it really stands out from regular doorbells.
- When somebody rings the doorbell, you immediately get a default notification on your phone along with the live video of the person ringing the bell. You can also communicate with the person through your phone.
- When you open the door, it also triggers the sensor on the device and you get an alert saying the “Door/Window is open”. The motion sensor can detect motion up to 3 meters and you can turn on the notification to get updated every time someone steps into the range.
- The camera itself is pretty awesome. It can cover a 105-degree angle and it works in the night pretty well too. It uses the infrared light to see the object clearly at night. It shoots 720p videos which are more than the desired requirement for a Xiaomi Smart Doorbell.
This Smart Doorbell has unique in-built feature where it clicks a photo of the person ringing the bell. This photo is stored on the device. This is to help with security.
Using the App
Through the Mi Home App, you can access a variety of settings.
- For example, you can choose from three ringtones, You can control volume, and even adjust the camera. There is also a Wide Dynamic Range option which can improve the image quality of the environment. This can help if the environment is too dark or too bright. You can also control the push notifications.
- The app plays a major role and you can perform a host of functions through it. Firstly, you can monitor the video in real-time, you can speak to the visitor from your phone and the visitor will hear it through the speaker on the doorbell.
- Through the app, you can also update the firmware automatically. The features don’t stop there. For overly cautious users, there is a host of motion detection settings which are a big boon.
- With Motion Detection, you can set the motion detection to automatically capture a clip when a person moves near the camera. You can also go a step further and choose the sensitivity of motion detection.
There is also a cool setting, where the doorbell starts ringing when a person knocks on the door. You can also set a pre-recorded message, which basically says what you want to say when you are not at home or to leave specific instructions. This is super important to me personally as I get a lot of deliveries and I would like to ask them to place it near the door as my house has good security.
The doorbell seamlessly works with Xiaomi’s automation and gateway products. You can set-up a lot of different rules for repetitive actions. For example, you can adjust the notifications if people are going in and out of your home constantly.
When we come to the performance bit of this smart doorbell, all I can say is that it’s extremely useful. However, I do have some concerns which I’ll address towards the end. The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell works really great. From the time it took to set up to 9 months later, It’s blended in seamlessly into my life.
- At this point, I don’t think I can live without it. Performance might be a crude umbrella term. However, this doorbell is fantastic, be it in terms of real-time performance or longevity. Basically, the performance bit can be broken down into how it functions in real-time, the quality of functions and the long term performance.
- In real-time, the video doorbell works flawlessly. This is a great thing considering how important a device like this is to safety. The video capture was crystal clear and the night mode worked amazingly. There were no grainy images even in complete darkness.
- I’ve personally hooked it up to the Xiaomi smart home ecosystem. So, I actually control it from either my bedside touch screen speaker or my phone. Although obvious, this functionality itself is probably the most useful feature. Not a lot of smart doorbells have this “smart home feature”.
- When we come to the features, all I can really say is that the features work really well. However, Xiaomi didn’t really take into account the various real life factors that might affect the performance of this device. For example, rain. Its huge problem. This doorbell is not water proof and yet it’s an outdoor device. You’re pretty much alright if you life in an apartment. But if your like me and live in an ancient house. You might have to build a tiny roof for your doorbell.
- Another issue is that. While the images are crystal clear, It isn’t smudge-resistant. So, if somebody touches the security camera lens of the doorbell with greasy hands, you really can’t see anything. Personally ran into this problem and took me a few hours to figure out what was wrong.
- Fortunately, didn’t have any issues with the battery life. It actually did last for sic months. So, haven’t had any issues with the quality or the lifespan. Still works the same.
The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell is actually pretty versatile. It has loads of amazing features.
- The Xiaomi Zero AI Smart Doorbell Camera can shoot in 720p quality which is brilliant as it captures everything clearly. however, the feature I truly appreciate is the Night Vision Mode. The IR sensor helps the camera capture a clean and sharp image even when it’s pitch dark. Xiaomi has Stepped up it’s Camera Technology in recent years.
- You can access the various features through your smartphone and even talk to the person through your phone. However, the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell has a Voice distortion like feature. So if your child is home alone and is uncomfortable answering unrecognizable people at the door. They can use one of two voice distortion feature: One sounds like a gruff voice and the other is a squeaky high pitched voice. This function help’s conceal the identity or age.
- You can set pre-recorded messages that can make your life easier. For example, you can save a recording like ” please put the package next to the door” and have it play when you’re not at home and you have a delivery en route.
- The smart device also has a reliable AI-based face recognition feature. Once a face is scanned and you enter it into the system. The device will automatically let you know. For example, “Martha is at the door”. This can be highly useful in differentiating between family and friends who constantly move in and out of the house and strangers.
- It does have an experimental feature that’s pretty amazing. Basically, this doorbell is equipped with a function to ring when somebody knocks on the door. Which is pretty damn cool in my opinion.
- Another useful feature is the long battery life. The battery lasts for about 6 months. This is primarily because the device is actually energy efficient. It goes into low energy consumption mode when not in use.
Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review – Final Thoughts
This is one of the best smart doorbell cameras out there. It’s a very useful and efficient way of finding out who’s at the door. Once you set up the device it lasts for six months which is great.
- The functions and features are remarkable. It can make your life very easy. But it does lag every now and then, but this is to be expected.
- Although a few people might complain about the 720p camera, the quality is pristine. The installation is super simple and you can do it yourself.
- The best part is the use case with the smartphone. You can monitor real-time, you can send custom messages and also set-up motion detection to capture visitor recordings.
This is a truly creative and interesting device from Xiaomi.
- Motion detection
- Live video
- Alarm when somebody tries to remove the screw
- The doorbell rings when somebody knocks the door
- Cool features like voice distortion and Pre-recorded settings.
- Long battery life
- 720p camera
- Lags every now and then
- The camera unit is Not waterproof.
Is the Xiaomi smart doorbell worth it?
The Xiaomi smart doorbell is pretty awesome. If you are into home automation, then there’s nothing like having a smart doorbell that can help you find out who is outside and give you lot more power in handling people outside your house.
- Considering the various features like setting pre-recorded messages and voice distortion. And the fact it’s a great addition to home security. I’d say, it’s definitely worth it. Check out our Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review for more details.
Does the motion detection work well in the Xiaomi smart doorbell?
This is one of the most important features for a smart doorbell. The motion detection should work as advertised and for the Xiaomi smart doorbell, it works great. In fact, it works more than great.
- You will easily be able to see videos or see photographs of people when there is motion outside your house. If you are not in a noisy neighbourhood and you need to know when somebody is coming close to your door, then this feature will come in handy. Check out our Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review for more details.
How do I setup my Xiaomi doorbell
Inside the box you’ll find a small screwdriver, screws and batteries along with the Xiaomi doorbell.
Follow these steps:
- Insert the batteries and then you will have to connect the smart doorbell with the MI Home app.
- The Mi Home app will generate a QR code, which you will need to scan through your smart doorbell’s camera. It will connect to your Wifi as well.
- You will need to attach the screw to the side of your doorbell. The smart doorbell can detect if somebody is trying to unscrew the device and an alarm will start bleeping.
- It comes with a 3M sticky tape that you can use it to attach to a wall, which is pretty strong enough.
Is Xiaomi doorbell waterproof?
Unfortunately, It is not waterproof. So you need to make sure there’s a covering on top to protect it from rain. If you do not have a covering then make sure to place it in a location where it’s protected from the weather. Check out our Xiaomi Smart Doorbell with Camera Latest Price and Review for more details.
Also Read :