The year has been a punch in the face for all of us. But unfortunately, things aren’t over just yet, with summer months closing in we soon have to deal with another problem yo deal with: mosquitoes and mosquito-borne diseases. Not to sound alarmist but lockdowns won’t be able to prevent mosquitoes. However, technology can. Xiaomi’s Mosquito repellent can keep you safe for as long as 90 days on a single repellent strip. Check out our “How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works?” article for all the details.
Honestly, mosquito-related problems hit a little too close to home as I’ve survived Dengue myself. Which is why I’m completely paranoid when it comes to these little beasts. And with our immunity degrading due to the quarantine, Xiaomi’s Mosquito Repellent is a timely solution.
Now, let’s find out how the Xiaomi mosquito repellent works, how much it costs, and what makes it unique as compared to the other electronic mosquito repellents in this space.
- How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works 2020
- Xiaomi Mijia Portable Mosquito Repellent – Set up
- Mijia Portable Mosquito – Functions
- Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Review – Performance
- Mosquito Repellent Review – Key features
- How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works? – What’s in it for you?
How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works 2020
Xiaomi has mastered the art of producing smart products that are affordable and stylish and the mosquito repellent is no exception.
- The Xiaomi mosquito repellent is an eco-friendly device that is simple and convenient to use. This latest version is equipped with a non-heating, fan type mechanism which is odor-free and smoke-free. The outer shell is made of eco-friendly materials like ABS+PP and the base is made of organic silicone and weighs 150 gms.
- The Xiaomi mosquito repellent uses battery-driven fan-type evaporation. This is different and more effective than the traditional heated type mosquito repellents. This also means better battery life and portability. The device consists of openings on the top and bottom to effectively repel mosquitoes and other bugs. The placement of the fan below the repellent tablet is intentional as it dispenses the medicine effectively.
- The film on top is manufactured by the Chinese subsidiary of Aspen pharmaceutical ltd. The film uses a honeycomb design that helps volatilize the medicine in the repellent tablet.
The medicine used is called transfluthrin and each tablet contains 500 mg of the medicine. Another interesting aspect is a button battery that is built into the repellent sheet which records how much medicine is being used at any given point. Cool, right?
Xiaomi Mijia Portable Mosquito Repellent – Set up
The Xiaomi mosquito repellent not only looks good from the outside but is also very simple to set up.
- To get to the internal workings of the device, we need to open the top lid which comes free with a gentle push of the palm and an anti-clockwise rotation. The repellent tablet and the battery case are revealed and we can also see the noiseless fan below it.
- The battery case has a strap to remove the batteries which is convenient and all you have to do is gently pull the strap to change batteries.
Insert the repellent tablet in the case and click the ON button and the Xiaomi mosquito repellent is operational. It is as simple as it sounds.
Mijia Portable Mosquito – Functions
With a size of 11.00 x 11.00 x 6.00 cm the mosquito repellent is a portable powerhouse that fits into your handbag or suitcase with ease.
- The white body and a greyish top cover come with a matte finish and is made of high-grade ABS and PP. Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene and Polypropylene are eco-friendly thermoplastic polymers that look and feel great when handling.
To make your life easier, the mosquito repellent has a small indicator above the ON/OFF button that indicates the status of the device. Different colors indicate different statuses and this makes tracking usage easy.
Let’s take a look at what each color indicates:
- White LED light (Constant): The device is working normally
- White LED light (Flashing): You can now use timing mode to set the desired number of hours
- Orange LED light (Flashing): The repellent tablet needs to be replaced
- Blue LED light (Flashing): Bluetooth mode is on
Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Review – Performance
The Xiaomi mosquito repellent is eco-friendly and odorless and works in rooms and offices up to 28m3/ cubic meter. Even though the area is not huge, it is quite effective on mosquitoes and smaller bugs like moths and flies as I confirmed it myself. The repellent does not produce any noise or buzzing so you get a good night’s sleep.
What more you may ask?
- The Xiaomi mosquito repellent comes in two versions, the basic and the smart with the only difference of control. With the basic version, you need to click ON/OFF to operate whereas the smart version can be controlled via Bluetooth on your phone with the MIJIA home app.
- The product also has a timing mode through which you can control the number of hours you want the repellent to be on. The repellent tablets have a hive design and contain up to 500mg of the repellent source which is effective against small insects and mosquitoes. The company certifies the repellent source as safe for adults but it is advisable not to use the product around babies.
- The repellent tablet lasts up to 90 days at 8 hours usage a day which is phenomenal for a product of its size.
- The Xiaomi Mosquito repellent uses battery-driven fan-type evaporation. This is different and more effective than the traditional heated type mosquito repellents. This also means better battery life and portability.
It is very easy to change the repellent tablets and the battery. The upper cover can be opened with a gentle press of the palm and anti-clockwise rotation.
Mosquito Repellent Review – Key features
- The size and weight of the Xiaomi Mosquito repellent make it ultra-portable and an ideal companion for a modern home.
It has an Intelligent timing mode which helps with
- The mosquito repellent is odor-free, smoke-free, and noiseless. It is also equipped with a LED status feature that alerts you if the device is running in the normal mode or the timing mode. This LED feature also alerts you if the repellent needs to be changed or if its time to change the battery. Honestly, it’s super convenient.
- The product is easy to operate and takes two steps to change the tablet or batteries. The battery life lasts up to 35-45 days dispensing on the usage.
- The repellent tablets last up to 90 days when used with the timing option of 8 hours a day. The mosquito repellent film on the product uses a honeycomb design that helps dispense the repellent effectively.
How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works? – What’s in it for you?
The Xiaomi mosquito repellent is a portable, easy to use repellent with useful features like LED status, and timing mode. The wireless design lets you carry it anywhere and the long-lasting batteries make it a must-buy for homes.
- The coverage area is a matter of concern but it makes up with its effectiveness. It not only repels mosquitoes but also small bugs like moths and flies.
- The material used is eco-friendly and does not produce odor or smoke which is a big plus. The repellent is kid and pet friendly though it’s advisable to not use around infants. The inbuilt fan has an excellent capacity to ensure volatile dispensing and greater repellency.
- The product is wireless and comes with extended battery life due to the smart timing functionality.
- Different from the traditional heated volatile mosquito repellent, Xiaomi mosquito repellent uses the battery-driven fan-type evaporation. The evaporation of mosquito repellent tablets is effective and it can be used for about 90 days if it is used for 8 hours a day.
The only drawback I felt is the availability of the repellent tablets. These can only be purchased online and you might have to plan in advance. The fact that they last up to 90 days makes life a little easier. I can personally vouch for the battery and repellent tablet life. The LED status does remind you of this though. Now, that’s some smart technology at work, isn’t it?
- Top-quality build (ABS+PP)
- Compact and portable design
- Repellent and battery included
- Odor and smoke-free
- Timing mode
- New repellent tablet availability
- 28m3/ cubic meter working range is limited
Does the Xiaomi mosquito repellent really work?
Yes, the Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent works pretty well. It’s a fantastic device that is super effective and worth the price as each repellent tablet lasts for 90 days if used for 8 hours each day.
- The Xiaomi mosquito repellent has amazing features like led indicators, modes and smartphone connectivity that truly make it a smart product. Honestly, it works amazingly well for the size it comes in. The effectiveness is evident when you close your windows and doors. Check out our How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works? article for all the details.
How is it different from the other electronic mosquito repellents?
When compared to traditional heated volatile mosquito repellents, Xiaomi mosquito Repellent uses the battery-driven fan-type evaporation. This avoids overheating odor and smoke.
- It’s also part of the Xiaomi smart home ecosystem of products. So, it has unique modes such as timing modes and most importantly, you can control this device through your smartphone. Check out our How Xiaomi Mosquito Repellent Works? article for all the details.
How long do the repellent tablets last?
The evaporation of mosquito repellent tablets is effective and it can be used for about 90 days if it is used for 8 hours a day.
How does the timing feature work?
With the timing mode, you can set the mosquito repellent to work for 8-10 hours. The product shuts down automatically so you don’t have repellent and battery wastage.