I have been using the Xiaomi Mi Robot and the Roborock for a little over a year now and it’s been the most useful device at home by autonomously completing the tasks assigned to it. Little did I know at the time that this particular Mi Robot was in fact manufactured by Roborock and was sold under the brand name Xiaomi.
Check out our Xiaomi Mi Robot vs Roborock comparison.
Yes…Roborock, a Chinese technology company that specializes in the manufacture and sale of smart home devices tied up with Xiaomi to mass-produce the Mi Robot and have since been producing some of the best Robot Vacuums in the market.
The smart robot vacuums developed by both these companies are superior devices that can clean with precision and don’t have to be handled in order to recharge their batteries. Though quite similar in many ways, each smart robot vacuum is unique making them ideal cleaning companions.
Related: Xiaomi Roborock vs Deebot 2022
Is Roborock Xiaomi?
Many of us probably have no idea what robots are manufactured by Xiaomi or Roborock. To put things in perspective, the Mi Robot vacuum was created by Roborock and then released under the brand Xiaomi with additional features included.
However, after this original product launch, the company decided to adapt to its future expansion as an independent corporation making robots for other companies besides Xiaomi such as Asus, etc. nonetheless they continue to supply technical services to their strategic partner allowing them to sell products under the same brand name (Xiaomi) at a lower cost than ones made by Roborock but still of higher quality so that users might not be aware that they’re actually from a different producer.
In this article, I will take you through the similarities between the latest from these two, Xiaomi Mi Robot and Roborock.
Xiaomi Mi Robot vs Roborock
Xiaomi and Roborock have been developing smart robot vacuums to do our bidding and it has turned out quite well, to be honest. With loads of new features and updated robot vacuums, it’s getting harder to find the right one to suit our personal needs.
Let’s look at two of the latest from 2021 and two from last year and break down their performance, cleaning abilities, and other relevant features to make you choose the most ideal smart home vacuum to suit your needs.
Xiaomi Mi Robot vs Roborock S5 Max
Released in 2019, both the Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM and Roborock S5 Max are quite similar but there are a few factors that make them different from each other.
|Specifications||Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM||Roborock S5 Max|
|Recharge and Resume||Yes||Yes|
|Suction Power||2100 Pa||2000 Pa|
|Battery Capacity||3200 mAh||5200 mAh|
|Run Time||120 minutes||150 minutes|
|Carpet Boost Sensor||No||Yes|
|Weight||3.6 Kg||3.5 Kg|
Xiaomi Mi Robot vs Roborock S5 Max – Navigation
Both, the S5 Max and the Mi Robot are LDS enabled and are known for their efficient navigation around the house. But the thing most don’t know is that the Roborock manages to cover the same distance in far less time than the Mijia.
Verdict: Roborock is faster and much more efficient at navigation
Equipped with an electronic water tank, the S5 Max and the Mijia allow you to set your water flow levels but would mop in different styles. The S5 Max follows a forward and backward mopping mode whereas the Xiaomi would follow a ‘Y’ shaped pattern that can also move back and forth.
- Unlike the Xiaomi, the S5 Max comes with a moist-proof mat that manages to keep the floors dry even when not in use. The only difference between them in terms of mopping is that the Xiaomi tends to leak a bit while resting and you’d have to remove the water tank after your mopping tasks have been completed.
Verdict : The Roborock beats Xiaomi in mopping abilities
However similar these two robot vacuums are they still perform differently on carpets and hardwood floors. The Roborock was designed with the intention of getting rid of clogged hair from the sides of the vacuum. This is possible due to the fact that Roborock has removable side tips with extra bristles.
- Xiaomi on the other hand is not so efficient on carpets or with pets in the house. The Mijia has fewer bristles and this does not help much when you have to vacuum up long strands of hair or balls of pet fur.
- An additional difference in the overall performance is that the Roborock S5 Max has a suction booster when it comes in contact with a carpeted surface. This is a battery-saving feature that comes in handy in carpeted rooms as it would be activated automatically.
Overall Verdict: The Roborock S5 is more reliable than the Xiaomi and would be an ideal choice between the two.
Key features of the Xiaomi Mi Robot
A few of the important features are:
- The Mijia supports up to 3 types of sweeping modes.
- Accurate mapping of the rooms.
- App control lets you keep an eye on the cleaning progress and schedule cleaning times.
- Automatically recharges itself if the battery is low.
Key features of the Roborock S5 Max
- Multi-level mapping for homes with more than one floor.
- High precision water management and navigation.
- Create virtual no clean and no mop zones around the house.
- App connectivity with Alexa and Google Home voice control.
Roborock S5 Max vs Xiaomi Mi Robot – Which should you get?
- If you want a mopper and sweeper, then go for the S5 Max. If you want a sweeper only, then go for the Xiaomi Mi Robot
- If suction is a major concern for you – S5 Max
- In terms of reduced Noise – S5 Max
- In-app area restriction – S5 Max (Xiaomi doesn’t support this via the app and only through physical magnets)
- Higher carpets cleaning – S5 Max (Xiaomi Mi robot can tackle only low carpets)
- Virtual Walls and Zoned Cleaning – S5 Max (Xiaomi Mi Robot has Zoned Cleaning)
- Cleaning Height – S5 Max (The S5 Max can climb higher surfaces compared to the Mi Robot)
- Price – Mi Robot
Winner in terms of Features: S5 Max
Winner in terms of Price: Mi Robot
Xiaomi MiJia 1S vs Roborock S6 MaxV
Two new age models from Roborock and Xiaomi, the S6 MaxV and the Mijia 1S were launched in 2021 with a couple of updated features and sensors. Primarily, they both have similar structures, battery capacities and mapping modes.
|Specifications||Xiaomi MiJia 1S||Roborock S6 MaxV|
|Mapping Sensor||LDS + Camera||LDS + Camera|
|Recharge and Resume||Yes||Yes|
|Suction Power||2000 Pa||2500 Pa|
|Battery Capacity||5200 mAh||5200 mAh|
|Run Time||150 minutes||180 minutes|
|Carpet Boost Sensor||No||Yes|
|Weight||3.8 Kg||3.7 Kg|
Xiaomi MiJia 1S vs Roborock S6 MaxV – Sensors
Among the four commonly used sensors in the market, the S6 MaxV is equipped with carpet boost and anti drop sensor whereas, the Xiaomi 1S comes only with the anti drop sensor.
- With no dirt detect and full bin indicator, you’d have to manually check the device’s bin to see if it has reached its full capacity and dump it out.
- The carpet boost sensor on the S6 MaxV allows the suction power to automatically increase while on a carpeted surface and retain its original suction power when it’s off a carpeted surface.
Verdict : Though Anti drop is an important sensor to have, most houses have carpeted floors rather than a staircase. The Roborock S6 MaxV wins this round hands down.
The cleaning abilities with the S6 MaxV are far more advanced and designed to do almost everything except dispose of the dirt automatically. With 2500 Pa suction power as compared to Xiaomi’s 2000 Pa, the S6 MaxV can clean and wet mop simultaneously which is not possible on the Mijia 1S.
- Fitted with a 300 ml electrically controlled water tank, the S6 MaxV can vacuum and mop an area of 2691 sq. feet in under an hour. Both vacuums come with a HEPA filter for the tiniest of dust particles and in terms of dustbin sizes, the S6 MaxV is slightly larger by approx 40 ml than the 1S and has a max capacity of 460 ml.
Verdict : The Roborock S6 MaxV performs well and wins this round with its superior capabilities.
Both devices house 2 cameras to view their surroundings but only the S6 MaxV comes equipped with a reactive AI that let’s it detect fallen objects up to 1.1 inches as an obstacle and proceed around it.
- The 1S uses the LDS laser system and SLAM to visually map the room and not bump into walls or tables.
- Both devices have the same battery capacity but the S6 MaxV will last roughly 10 minutes longer even after cleaning the same amount of space as the Xiaomi 1S.
Overall Verdict: The S6 MaxV can clean for longer and collect more dust than the 1S. The wet mop ability in the S6 MaxV is a god-send and which makes it perform better than the Xiaomi 1S.
Key Features of the Xiaomi Mijia 1S
The most notable features of the Mijia 1S are:
- Path planning, room partitioning, and saving the layout of the room.
- MiHome App connectivity via WiFi.
- The slim design allows it to get into cramped spaces.
- Will automatically recharge itself and resume cleaning.
Key Features of the Roborock S6 MaxV
The key features of the S6 MaxV are:
- Horizontal mops for more suction than others.
- Can be App controlled or Voice-controlled through Alexa or Google Home.
- Has a multi-level mapping system to cover up to 4 floors in the house.
- Ability to view what your S6 MaxV sees through the Smartphone App and control it accordingly.
Between both these robot vacuums, it’s clear which is much more adaptable and is equipped with updated features. Unfortunately, the only drawback to owning the Roborock S5 Max and the Roborock S6 MaxV is the high price.
On the other hand, Xiaomi’s Mi Robot and the Mijia 1S are much more affordable but lack certain specs and won’t be preferred by all.
If you’re looking for something that sweeps, mops, and can be controlled from afar, I’d suggest you jump in for the Xiaomi Mijia STYJ02YM as it has it all (apart from carpet boost) and is relatively affordable.
If you’re looking for an all-rounder and are open to paying a premium rate, then look no further because Roborock is built for you.
This article Xiaomi Mi Robot vs Roborock is a comparison between two of the latest robot vacuums and two from the previous generation. All in all, any one of these robot vacuums can do the job for you, it’s solely based on what your preferences are.
|Specifications||Xiaomi MiJia STYJ02YM||Roborock S5 Max||Xiaomi MiJia 1S||Roborock S6 MaxV|
|Mapping Sensor||LDS||LDS||LDS + Camera||LDS + Camera|
|Recharge and Resume||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Suction Power||2100 Pa||2000 Pa||2000 Pa||2500 Pa|
|Battery Capacity||3200 mAh||5200 mAh||5200 mAh||5200 mAh|
|Run Time||120 minutes||150 minutes||150 minutes||180 minutes|
|Carpet Boost Sensor||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Weight||3.6 Kg||3.5 Kg||3.8 Kg||3.7 Kg|
What are the differences?
The Roborock S5 is slightly better than the Xiaomi Mijia 1S Robot Vacuum. The Roborock S5 has better built, maneuvers itself more effectively, has more automation features and can clean high-pile carpets better. It also has a longer maximum battery life, though the Xiaomi Mijia 1S charges faster. The Xiaomi also performs better on low-pile carpets and has an easier time cleaning pet hair on floors.
Is Roborock made by Xiaomi?
Nope, in fact, it’s the other way round, Roborock helps and sometimes even produces robot vacuums for Xiaomi. This is because Roborock is owned by Xiaomi. This is why you will see robot vacuums from both companies share features and designs.
Which is better, Roomba or Xiaomi?
Roomba is better at the high end while Xiaomi offers better budget and midrange robot vacuums. Xiaomi is known for offering premium products at affordable pricing and it shows in its vacuum cleaners too.
Which model of Xiaomi robot vacuum is best?
The Xiaomi Mijia 1S is the best Xiaomi Robot vacuum cleaner developed and produced by Xiaomi. If you are looking for a robot vacuum cleaner developed by one of Xiaomi’s subbrands then, choose the Roborock S5.
Is Xiaomi robot vacuum worth it?
Yes, absolutely, Xiaomi Robot Vacuum offers a lot of bang for the buck. They offer excellent cleaning performance, decent build quality along with good tracking and features which make them a great choice, especially for the price.
Is Roborock same as Xiaomi?
What’s not known to most is that the Mi Robot was originally manufactured by Roborock under the Xiaomi branding. Roborock is a separate brand and is funded by Xiaomi, but not owned by Xiaomi. They are different brands in an ecosystem.
How do I connect my Mi Robot Vacuum to WiFi?
1. Start by opening the Mi Home Application.
2. Raise the lid of the vacuum cleaner and press on the two WiFi buttons simultaneously until the indicator starts to blink.
3. Tap on the Scan button in the Mi Home App
4. Click on the name of your vacuum and finally assign the WiFi SSID and password.
What is Mi Home App?
The Mi Home App is an official Xiaomi application that was created to control all your Xiaomi Smart Home products. You can configure your lighting, fan, lamps, vacuum cleaners, and security camera from within the Mi Home App. Check out our guide on Xiaomi Mi Robot vs Roborock for more details.
Is Roborock better than Xiaomi?
Roborock sells their robot vacuums at a much higher price and boasts of much better features, Roborock is better than Xiaomi when it comes to suction power, the sound emitted, app features such as a virtual wall and climbing onto carpets. Xiaomi sells a budget variant and is much cheaper than the Roborock.
What is the difference between Mijia and Roborock?
Mijia means Smart Home in Chinese and is Xiaomi’s term for all their Smart Home products. Roborock and Mijia have no connection. The Xiaomi Mijia 1C model is Roborock’s competitor.
Table of Contents