A router forms an integral part of our lives, you have to admit. You could never watch that favourite show of yours on Netflix or have a steady video chat with your loved ones on Skype without a good router. This simple device that acts as a post office, sending data from your home devices out into the internet and vice versa, is, in fact, one of the most important gadgets you can have in your house. While there are plenty of routers out there in the market and newer ones constantly being released with better upgrades, there is a certain Xiaomi router that stands out. Check out our Xiaomi Router Review for all the details.
Xiaomi is not a new brand and does not need much of an introduction. It is widely known that Xiaomi makes gadgets that are pocket friendly while managing to pack a whole lot of features in the device. Xiaomi has given the world a few routers over the years but in this article, we are going to review the most recent one, the Xiaomi Mi Router 4c.
An upgrade from its predecessors, the Mi Router 4c is everything you would want in terms of speed and functionality.
Mi Router 4c
- Mi Router 4c
- Mi Router 4 Review
Mi Router 4 Review
Xiaomi Mi Router 4c – First Impressions
Though this router is a couple of years old, there have been quite a few software updates. These upgrades keep this router current and one of the best money can buy.
- At first glance, this certainly is better looking but that is expected of Xiaomi. Most of their gadgets focus on slim, sleek looks and the same can be said for their routers.
- Performance-wise, the Mi Router 4c is quite similar to the Mi router 3.
- Let’s go a little more in detail and analyse the Mi Router 4c in each aspect.
Packaging of the Xiaomi Mi Router 4c
Let’s say it aloud, we love good packaging. It’s sometimes the best part of buying ourselves a new gadget. I even love watching others unpack their new devices. While we know that some companies pride themselves on their packaging and it is sometimes even worth saving those boxes, Xiaomi decides to keep it simple and neat with its products.
- The Mi Router 4c comes in a slim rectangular box that is white in colour, with the image of the router on top.
- It is quite a sturdy box, though.
- Inside you have the router itself set in a safe casing along with a small instruction manual and a cable to connect to the power supply.
- It has 4c antennae and in a beautiful white colour, it looks pristine.
- It does look very similar to the Mi Router 3 with just a few small changes.
- This router comes with rounded edges that give it a softness and premium appeal.
- This is a Chinese brand and so, most of the literature is in Chinese.
Xiaomi Mi Router 4c – Design and Specifications
Moving on to the specifications of the router, it is only fair that we compare it to the previous version to truly understand if this is an upgraded model or not.
- It has 4 antennae, similar to the Mi Router 3, to access each band
- It is powered by Mediatek MT7621A which enhances its performance to a great extent
- It operates at a frequency of 880 MHz
- The RAM and ROM are 128 MB which is adequate for a router of this type
- This router has two Ethernet ports to manually connect devices. This may or may not be sufficient, depending on the usage you intend to put this to
- The LAN, as well as the WAN ports, have tiny indicator lights just below them to indicate that a device is connected to the router
- There is a button that can be touched to access MiNet technology. This comes as a pleasant surprise in the form of the Mi logo that is present on top of the router. The button is quite sensitive to touch and works super fast
- This router is slightly larger than the previous version but the difference is hardly noticeable
- The Xiaomi Mi Router 4c weighs around 225 grams, about 5 grams heavier than the Mi Router 3, which is, again, not such a noticeable difference
- The device has a reset button present behind it
- The bottom is constructed with an aluminium-magnesium alloy to automatically cool the device
Performance of the Xiaomi Mi Router 4c
The most important bit of the Xiaomi Router Review is the performance review. The Xiaomi Mi Routers are dual-band routers. With the kind of internet usage that today’s time sees, dual-band routers are indeed the need of the hour. So what is a dual-band router?
- To keep it very simple, a dual-band router is more advanced than single-band routers as these can support two wireless signals.
- In Layman terms, this means that you get a faster and more uninterrupted signal to all the devices connected.
- They can also achieve a higher internet speed when compared to the single-band router and can additionally have some advanced features like device optimisation.
- This comes in handy when different devices are connected and are trying to access different types of websites and streaming services.
The Xiaomi Mi Router 4c is pretty impressive when it comes to its transmission performance. Here are some features that we picked up when we tested it out:
- The signal gain strength is very strong and even. This is ensured by the strong antennae present on the device
- It can connect to up to 128 devices, though at the end of the day it would completely depend on your internet service provider to ensure that all the devices can get internet of sufficient speed. This is, however, done quite seamlessly and smoothly by the Mi Router 4c, at a speed of 1 Gb/sec
- The MiNet technology allows any device to automatically connect to the router without the need for password authentication. This saves a lot of time and the complications of adding a new device to the network
- The mesh type of construction underneath the device works really well in keeping the device cool at all times
- You can download the app on your smartphone to set up the router once connected. This saves a lot of time and energy during installation
Honestly, the Xiaomi Mi Router 4c could have been better
It’s always an exciting time when Xiaomi releases a new gadget or its upgrade. The newer versions are usually leaps and bounds much more advanced than their previous versions. It is quite natural that the same was expected from the Mi Router 4. However, the upgrade is not all that better when compared to the previous version. Though this router is certainly not a disappointment, we would have liked a few additions that may have made this perfect:
- It could have been a futuristic triple band router. Now, though at this stage we don’t really need it in a home or small office setting, a triple-band router would have definitely been something to own and be future-ready. Too greedy?
- We would have liked this router to have a few more ports to physically connect more than two devices
- The previous version, the Mi router 3 has a USB port which this router seems to be missing. We really wonder why Xiaomi decided to remove that provision from this as that could have definitely been a good feature
Xiaomi Router Review – Final thoughts
Well, from all the above analysis, we don’t completely rule out the Xiaomi Mi Router 4c. It is definitely a good device to own as it is durable and comes with the Xiaomi guarantee.
- The brand can be trusted to make gadgets that last a long time and function extremely well.
- What we would say is, if you already have a dual-band router that functions perfectly well, it may not be worth it to buy a brand new router with the intention of upgrading.
- But, if you are on the lookout for a new router for your home or office setting, this is definitely recommended.
- The price may be a little steep, but all good brands come at a price and they sure make their products worth the money you shell out.
Price of the Xiaomi Mi Router 4c
It is a fact that Xiaomi products are affordable and justify every penny spent.
The Xiaomi Mi Router 4c costs roughly US $17.20 – 18.91, which is less than other premium dual-band routers.
What is the best brand router for home use?
Check out the Xiaomi Router Review for all the details.
What is the use of Mi router?
This is way better and convenient that most of the routers out there. And its very simple to access these settings through the simple user interface of the Mi Home app.
Check out the Xiaomi Router Review for all the details.